VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Taking Continuous Meds

Rate this question

GunnyO_Ret_USMC

Question

Read this in another forum and I am not sure if it is true or not, so I decided to come to the experts here at Hadit.

The question is, if you are SC let's say for High Blood Pressure and you have to take meds for the rest of your life in order to control it, do you rate 10% for this alone? I tried to do the research on this but came up blank.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Read this in another forum and I am not sure if it is true or not, so I decided to come to the experts here at Hadit.

The question is, if you are SC let's say for High Blood Pressure and you have to take meds for the rest of your life in order to control it, do you rate 10% for this alone? I tried to do the research on this but came up blank.

It depends on the verbage of the Schedule for rating disabilities.

The rating ssystem for HTN states spacifically that you still must have compensable BP readings with Continuous medication to control.

FOr example. Diabetes says 10 percent for Restricted diet, 20 percent for oral meds or insulion. 40 percent for insulin. restricted diet and restricted activities.

SO learn what the regs say and how they relate to your spacific claim.

J

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

I have seen conditions be connected to eachother so it is possible that could be rated at some percentage, and it's entirely possible that it won't be. I would apply for it and see what comes up, although I would ask that someone run the list for filing a new claim. Also, if you have an IMO connecting the dots that's helpful.

If anyone can run the list for filing for Gunny I would be much obliged to them, it's been since 1998 when I filed my claims.

I used BP because I am service connect for it and the only way it can be controlled is with meds. So I guess what I am saying is there really is no choice for me, because once you have it you have to continually take the meds to control it. If anything it can only get worse. With that being the case, I am trying to find out if this rates the 10% or not.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Condition

(6602) 10% asthma bronchiole (claimed as asthma)

Rating Chart

FEV–1 of 56- to 70-percent predicted, or; FEV–1/FVC of 56 to 70 percent, or; daily inhalational or oral bronchodilator therapy, or; inhalational anti-inflammatory medication 30%

My Opinion

I'm 10% SC for asthma.

For the last three months, the VA docs have prescribed an inhaled anti-inflammatory medication (Mometasone Furoate inhaler) for daily use. This is a steroid and reduces inflammation. Please note that I also use a oral bronchodilator (Albuterol) daily also.

This should be justification for an increase to 30%, based on the rating guidelines shown above?