VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying For Disability Due To Parkinson's

Big Pat

Is there any way to actually talk to someone at a regional office? I finally got a fax number from the main VA number but they evidently don't take phone calls. Or is there a way to find a contact at the RO? Must be nice to never answer the phone. ;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"went ahead and sent my dad's info to them. Hopefully that will help. Has anyone else had experience with them? I guess the more people working on it will hopefully pay off faster. I see it is a not-for-profit which is pretty nice. I didn't know if it was some lawyers just trying to drum up business."

I have had ongping relationship with these wonderful lawyers since 1991.They are the reason I am here at hadit.

They won the Nehmer Court Order and stipulation- the most important class action case ever won for AO veterans.

They requested some info in email at their site from vets and widows affected by the new presumptives- but this does not take the place of formally re-opening his claim.

They dont do individual claims at the regional level- they want to hear from vets and widows under the new presumptives to make sure the ROs are applying the Nehmer decision to the retro.

Only claims which were for same exact conditions as any disability under the new presumptives -which were denied in the past and unappealed to the point that there was no SC rating at all-

will probably certainly fall under the Nehmer Retroactive payment regulations at the NVLSP web site.

Vets who did get a SC rating in the past for what is now a presumptive were rated due to a direct SC condition.

A vet rated in the past for a direct SC condition that is now presumptive can re-oopen for higher rating if they feel their medical evidence warrants it.

I am confused here by your situation.

"I think right now they have him at a whopping 10%."

Is the 10% for Parkinson's under direct SC disability?

If so all he needs to do is re-open and ask for higher rating based on his medical evidence.

If he has evidence of unemployability due to Parkinson's he should also apply for TDIU.

He should ask that the new AO regulations coming for Parkinsons be applied to his claim-but6 only if he was denied in the past.It seems he was not denied if he gets 10% for this same disability.

I see no reason in trying to call the RO at this point.

There are almost a million claims in the system and his claim has not been formally re-opened yet.

Sorry for the delay to answering, I was on vacation :angry:

Dad's 10% was only for PTSD and the rest were denied. I got on a conference call with my dad and the VA to get the original claim reopened. I have also filled out the forms so the VA can actually talk to me about the case without having to get him on the phone with us. I mailed that form in (with delivery conf.) to the regional office, so it is just a waiting game now I guess. The RO is supposed to be sending a form to my dad with what information they need for the claim. I called to get some sort of timeframe for them just to send the forms but the operator for the VA was less than cordial.

Hopefully it will show up in the mail soon so we can get this ball rolling! I am wondering about one thing, for those that have been diagnosed with Parkinson's and have had the claim accepted and are finished with this process, what sort of % did they qualify you as?

Thanks,

Pat

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0903196.txt

This case is lengthy and detailed but gives you an idea of how they rate Parkinson's disease.

I just checked and they still havent posted the proposed 3 new regs yet- I assume the Parkinson's ratings will remain the same as in this fairly recent BVA decision.

Wow I have some reading and learning to do I guess. Thanks for the post! I see the max it says in there is like 50%. If the person is totally disabled and is required to use a scooter and such, is 50% the highest PD goes on the disability? Or is there something else I need to work on for him to get to the 100% level? He has not been able to work in 15 years or more due to PD so am just trying to cover my bases.

You guys and gals are awesome and a fount of knowledge!

Pat