VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd, Depressed And Fat

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I have read that the VA will rate a person for only one mental issue. I'm assuming this to be true, so can a person that is sc for PTSD put in a claim for obesity and/or a eating problem based upon the connection of depression with PTSD? Has anyone done this with any success?

Papa

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Most of us large guys can blame the cheap meds the VA gives us.

I could only find diagnostic codes for Bulimia (9521) and anorexia (9520)

but as others mentioned if you have a medical statement that the obesity is directly due to any SC condition or aggravated by it- or due to a side affect of a SC med you take- then I would think it could possibly be rated as SC.Possibly-

I spent a little time at the BVA web site where obesity turns up in many cases but have not found any case that was awarded.

Maybe the BVA site would help you under their search feature.I didn't have time to read many of the cases.

Some obesity could be due to any other type of disability- particularily one that does isolate the veteran or make them sedentary.

Still it will take a strong medical opinion to have any eating disorder service connected.

One point VA made to me years ago- when I filed FTCA-was that my husband was obese and this contributed to his heart disease.

The fact was VA misdiagnosed his heart disease, and his weight gain was quite sudden during last year of his life due to undiagnosed diabetes.This was a FTCA and 1151 case so they were trying to blame the vet for the death that they had caused.

Long story but when this case was settled , the VA cardio doc made the point that no where in his med recs did the VA document any attempt at all to put him on a diet or look for the reason for the sudden weight gain.Without a proper DMII diagnosis and treatment -he began to eat constantly, yet always felt hungry- because his pancreas was not producing enough insulin.

Technically I realize now that his obesity was due to what they recently SCed=his DMII from AO.

But the VA is quick to blame obesity on lifestyle habits if they can.

Is there a claim that may be made for compensation to the VA if you have gained weight because of a physical disability and you are unable to exercise?

I have knee and back problems from being deployed to Iraq. I have gained 60 pounds.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

If you take drugs for depression and for nerve pain (neurontin) you are bound to gain weight. The only drug for nerve pain that helps you lose weight is topomax, but it may make you go blind. I love the VA. They always put cost before life/health in medical care.

This is a little off topic but i too gained and gained and soon i ballooned up to 300 lbs . at 6 foot tall ... well as i live in the Philippines i finally took a big step and had a vertical sleeve done they make your stomac smaller and now after 9 months i am down to 226 and seem to be leveling off but i feel great... i heard you can get this done in the VA for free its a hassle but its free i paid for my own but over here it was only 6500 dollars.. best money i spent..

Robert- I had the operation done years ago when I was at 340 pounds, and I'm not 6'. It worked for awhile as I got down to 240. But, by contension is that over time, it does not cure the addiction. The addiction is food. I never had a eating problem until Vietnam. I would eat whatever I wanted, but could stop when I wanted to. Now, and I strongly believe PTSD plays a big part in this, I can not stop eating. I can still eat a half-gallon of ice cream with my stomach surgically reduced, and without even realizing that I have done it until the ice crem is gone. If, I was addicted to drugs and/or alchcol I would be rated I believe, but because it is food, I will not be. I have only seen one case were this has been awarded. Good luck on your sleeve, and do not let this reply get you down as you will make it work.

Papa