VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bupropion Hcl 150mg

Rate this topic

I had bad bad seizures on Wellbutrin (bupropion). I was talking to my mother on the phone and my jaw locked up and I had a full blown seizure. The phone was still on and my mother could here me making weird noises while having the seizure. I will never ever take that drug again.

I'm on Lamictal and Lexapro now and the Lamictal seems to be helping stablize my mood.

jerr

I was seen in mental health today and they prescribed me this medication. I am supposed to go back in a month to evaluate how the medicine is doing. He said they may have to increase the dosage at that time. Has anyone used or currently using this medicine? Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Edited by jerrbilly

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between the memory problems and drooling I began to wonder if taking that stuff was doing me any good.

I was taking the prescribed 600 mg per day.

After getting off of it I can remember if I'm right or left handed and where our bathroom is.

sledge

Wow! 600mg, no wonders you were drooling! I always heard the maximum daily dosage shouldn't exceed 450mg. But that was just one vet to another though, so I can't say how true it is. :D Buprpion seems to work fine for some and others have problems with it. I guess it depends on the individual.

What meds are you taking now and are they working for you?

I had bad bad seizures on Wellbutrin (bupropion). I was talking to my mother on the phone and my jaw locked up and I had a full blown seizure. The phone was still on and my mother could here me making weird noises while having the seizure. I will never ever take that drug again.

I'm on Lamictal and Lexapro now and the Lamictal seems to be helping stablize my mood.

jerr

The doctor asked me about a family history of seizures before prescribing. He did say that could be a side effect. How many milligrams were you taking per day when you had that seizure?

its been years so dont remember the dose...sorry

All I remember is I would start having a conversation and my thoughts would get all jumbled and my brain would feel like it would "lock up." It was like my brain and my mouth weren't operating together like they should. I would think faster than I could talk or I would talk faster than I could think. Later, I found out this was light seizure activity before I had a full-blown seizure while talking to my mother on the phone. It really scared my mother to death.

I don't won't to scare you into not taking it because everyone's different and everyones brains are wired differently so you might tolerate it just fine.

Jerr

The doctor asked me about a family history of seizures before prescribing. He did say that could be a side effect. How many milligrams were you taking per day when you had that seizure?
Edited by jerrbilly

"Wow! 600mg, no wonders you were drooling! I always heard the maximum daily dosage shouldn't exceed 450mg. But that was just one vet to another though, so I can't say how true it is. (IMG:http://www.hadit.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Buprpion seems to work fine for some and others have problems with it. I guess it depends on the individual.

What meds are you taking now and are they working for you?"

I'm in the process of switching to the private sector right now.

Commenting on what is working while in transition would be meaningless.

Back in August I had a C&P at the facility that tried to have me locked up in 1994.

Since then I have found that the VA facility personnel, where I normally seek medical help, have developed an attitude and are aggressively doing whatever they can to run me off altogether.

They have a 'list' of clients who 'will not get' certain drugs or treatment, or travel pay.

My VA shrink informed me that I had made the list in November.

sledge

My diagnosis is PTSD, depression, anxiety (panic attacks) ... awaiting service connection decision ... I've been going to the local VAMC for about ten years ...first I was prescribed Prozac, which actually worked very well. I even lost about 20 pounds (I can stand to loose about 50) on it. The trouble was every year or so the strength had to be increased to be effective and I ended up stopping all together. Later I was prescribed Brupropion with the doctor saying it would 'motivate' me out of my inactivity ... I went from one panic attack every few weeks to three and four a day .... the doctor had me stay on it for about 6 months before I said I just couldn't handle it. I could barely leave my house! .... My med got changed to Paxil and now I have been on that for about a year with no problems,no panic attacks, no increases in dosage either ... the only little thing that can happen is that if I miss a dose or two I get really vivid - and not so great - dreams.

LIke previous posters have said, different meds work well for different people, sometimes you have to try a few different ones before on clicks for you. When you get the corrrect one and the right therapy/therapist, your life changes (for the better!)

Good luck