VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is P & T?

Rate this question

Fire Courage

Question

I have searched the board, but can't find anything that actually says what the two letters stand for. I'm thinking it has something to do with unemployability though. Right?

I did find this link in another post here which breaks down a lot of common acronyms used on this board but P & T wasn't listed.

http://www.hadit.com/index.php?categoryid=33

Thanks

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I agree with TEAC about P and T, and how the VA looks at it differently than the Veteran. (Gee..what else is new..the VA looks at everything different than the Veteran).

I would add that RO decisions are inconsistent about specifiying "eligibility for DEA". Sometimes, I think the VA says something like, "No future exams are scheduled", and that means, to THEM, it is P an T. However, for example, to your local tax assessor, he may not know that "no future exams are scheduled" means that the Veteran is P and T, and is eligible for a property tax exclusion which is offered by some communnities for "P and T Veterans".

While I am pretty sure that no one listens to Veterans, why does the VA not have a "box" that says..Is Veteran P and T? Yes No? Since there are many state and even county benefits, why is it that Veterans are often frustrated at obtaining them, even after they have received a P & T award, because it is often confusing as to whether or not it is P and T.

I think I can guess an explanation. VA does not like to use the words P and T, because, if 5 years later they call for an exam and try to reduce the rating, the Vet can come back upon appeal and say, "but you already said I was P and T, and now you are changing your mind...you said P and T, and that decision became final a year ago".