VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Diagnosis Question?

Rate this question

signalsix

Question

Long story short, when I went in for my TBI exams the Doctor told me I had PTSD in addition to TBI. But I was afraid of losing my security clearance so I asked her not to mention the PTSD in her report and she was kind enough to honor my request. Now a year later, I found out you do not have to report any sessions with a psychologist or psychiatrist if it is related to combat experiences. So I have requested an appointment with the mental health team at the VA.

Now my question, will the mental health team provide a diagnosis of PTSD after meeting with them? I know i have PTSD and have decide I need help, but would also like to file for service connection. Would it be worth while to call the psychologist I saw last year at the TBI clinic?

Thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Forgot to ask, do I needa dignosis from a Doctor before I file for SC or will the C&P exam suffice?

x

x

x

You need a current diagnosis of PTSD from a qualified psychiatrist, psychologist or liscenced social worker --and you will need a "nexus" statement from the same: that your current diagosis of PTSD is "as likely as not" or "more likely than not" casually or directly related to your active-duty military service. ~Wings

It would be to your advantage if you had a psychiatrist or a PhD psychologist give you the diagnosis. If you have one of the recognized stressors, ie combat infantry badge/ribbon, bronze star with "v", etc,and the psych says you have problems related to the experience then you will have the criteria for a PTSD claim with the following:Stressor, Diagnosis,nexus/continuation of the problems related to and chances are awardance of some % would be granted.

File your claim, get the diagnoses documented from the psych professional you saw, and the VA will most likely set you up with a C&P exam. Tell the truth with all exams...not if you have a "good day" that one day, but more days of terrible problems/depression, etc.

Evidence is the key, documented evidence is what the VA looks for.

You will find much help from your fellow sisters and brothers who have served, and family members too

Do you have a VSO? Veterans service officer helping you with your claim?

File for the claim first to protect your earliest date, the rest will follow. Good luck. halos2 ;)

Forgot to ask, do I needa dignosis from a Doctor before I file for SC or will the C&P exam suffice?

Thanks for the info. I have a Purple Heart and Comabat Action Badge. I also emailed the neuropsychologist that diagnosised by TBI. She said I had PTSD, but I asked her not to report it. I have an appointment with the VA mental health clinic on Jan 28, so we will see how that goes. I asked the neuropsychologist to send something to the me or the mental health clinic about her diagnosis and PTSD. Hopefully she will help me out. I have been workin wiht the DAV, but honestly they haven't done anything, not even a phone call during the last 4 years. Luckily I found hadit and spent a lot of time reading the CFRs. I am actually excited to get some help with the PTSD, hopefully it will be beneficial. I feel terrible for my wfie, she has put up with a lot of BS. I was so afraid of losing my clearance / job I didn't dare to get help, but I can't take it anymore. Time for a change.

I know exactly what you mean Signal6. I couldn't take it anymore either. I had fought it for years and in the process put my family through hell. I always thought I could handle this myself, but I couldn't. Thank goodness I realized that and seeked help before losing my second wife. I'm being seen in Mental health now. I'm finally on some medication. I aslo go to the vet center every few weeks. So far so good.

You are not alone. Also, I hope you get the info you need to support your claim. I have a claim in for PTSD.

Signal,i would like to thank you for the service to your country and also the blood you gave for your country.You have a purple heart and a CAB,you are good to go all you need now is the diagnose of ptsd,i see you been diagnose before and i don't thank you will have a problem with that.Now that i said that lets talk about how ptsd is rated,in increments,of 0%,10%,30%,50%,70%,100% in other words you don't get a higher rating because of cab and purple heart,its all about how bad your ptsd symtoms are.

mobide16r