VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Diagnosis Question?

Rate this question

signalsix

Question

Long story short, when I went in for my TBI exams the Doctor told me I had PTSD in addition to TBI. But I was afraid of losing my security clearance so I asked her not to mention the PTSD in her report and she was kind enough to honor my request. Now a year later, I found out you do not have to report any sessions with a psychologist or psychiatrist if it is related to combat experiences. So I have requested an appointment with the mental health team at the VA.

Now my question, will the mental health team provide a diagnosis of PTSD after meeting with them? I know i have PTSD and have decide I need help, but would also like to file for service connection. Would it be worth while to call the psychologist I saw last year at the TBI clinic?

Thanks

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Signal

Stop preparing yourself, research the symtoms of PTSD, the criteria for the GAF and what the numbers mean. I researched the terms in the DSM IV, so I knew what they were talking about. My PTSD packet for the rating, including all medical/buddy letters/awards/description of all the battles was enormous. My C&P

examiner stated in the exam she had to stop reading because the content of the packet. I am a believer that honesty is a must, with a descriptive explanation written or verbal is a must. It takes a lot to go through this, but its your rating and you need to take charge of it.

Thanks for all the replies. I was just trying to explain I have the stessor, know I have to meet with the Docs and see what they say. Sgmdae, What is the DSM IV? I was looking over the rating schedule and would like to take a look at the work sheet the C&P examiner uses? Thanks again.

Signal,like i said before you shouldn't have a problem getting service connected for PTSD,I am 100% service connected for Posttraumatic stress dis-order myself and

i hope this help what i am am posting below

If you would like to see a general guide on how the GAF may correspond to ratings here it is:"The rule of thumb for the amounts the VA assigns for psychiatric disabilities is:

GAF Percentage

0-40=100%

41-50=70%

51-60=50%

61-70=30%

71-80=10%

81-100=0%

Raters may choose to ignore this, but it does give you a general idea of where you stand.

What does the Axis mean on my C&P report?

The AXIS I through AXIS V are your evaluation. The most important is AXIS I being the diagnosis, or what was found wrong, and AXIS V is the prognosis, or how it looks for future progress. Also you will find it says, "Competent for VA purposes," don't worry about that it's a good thing. It just means that you don't need to be locked up against your will, or "committed" as the doctors prefer saying.

AXIS 1: MAJOR PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESSES, INCLUDING SUBSTANCE ABUSE.

AXIS 2: PERSONALITY DISORDERS/FEATURES

AXIS 3: PHYSICAL PROBLEMS (MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS-AS OPPOSED TO A PSYCH DIAGNOSIS)

AXIS 4: PSYCHOSOCIAL STRESSORS (homeless, unemployment, marital conflict, etc.)

AXIS 5: GLOBAL ASSESSMENT of FUNCTIONING SCALE, expressed as: none, mild, moderate, severe and then it'll have numbers listed to represent, eye movement, or non-eye contact, tearful, fearful, and these kinds of assessments.

---------------------------------------------------------

XII. I filed the claim, received my C&P and the report. How long do I have to wait before I receive my decision?

This, as always, depends on the backlog of cases at your regional VA office. The rule of thumb ,I say, is 3-6 months after your C&P exam if and only if the rating board has all the information they need. But remember, especially with PTSD, that it may take longer to hear a reply. Always keep in contact with your service rep for any updates.

mobie16r

I have a claim in for PTSD, but haven't had a C&P done yet. Going through my VAMC records I see that in 2001 I had a GAF score of 50. That is the only one I have in my records. At that time I was unemployed and things were really really bad. My question is, Will the VARO take that GAF score in consideration when they rate me or will they have an updated one done since that one was performed in 2001?

Signal,like i said before you shouldn't have a problem getting service connected for PTSD,I am 100% service connected for Posttraumatic stress dis-order myself and

i hope this help what i am am posting below

If you would like to see a general guide on how the GAF may correspond to ratings here it is:"The rule of thumb for the amounts the VA assigns for psychiatric disabilities is:

GAF Percentage

0-40=100%

41-50=70%

51-60=50%

61-70=30%

71-80=10%

81-100=0%

Raters may choose to ignore this, but it does give you a general idea of where you stand.

What does the Axis mean on my C&P report?

The AXIS I through AXIS V are your evaluation. The most important is AXIS I being the diagnosis, or what was found wrong, and AXIS V is the prognosis, or how it looks for future progress. Also you will find it says, "Competent for VA purposes," don't worry about that it's a good thing. It just means that you don't need to be locked up against your will, or "committed" as the doctors prefer saying.

AXIS 1: MAJOR PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESSES, INCLUDING SUBSTANCE ABUSE.

AXIS 2: PERSONALITY DISORDERS/FEATURES

AXIS 3: PHYSICAL PROBLEMS (MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS-AS OPPOSED TO A PSYCH DIAGNOSIS)

AXIS 4: PSYCHOSOCIAL STRESSORS (homeless, unemployment, marital conflict, etc.)

AXIS 5: GLOBAL ASSESSMENT of FUNCTIONING SCALE, expressed as: none, mild, moderate, severe and then it'll have numbers listed to represent, eye movement, or non-eye contact, tearful, fearful, and these kinds of assessments.

---------------------------------------------------------

XII. I filed the claim, received my C&P and the report. How long do I have to wait before I receive my decision?

This, as always, depends on the backlog of cases at your regional VA office. The rule of thumb ,I say, is 3-6 months after your C&P exam if and only if the rating board has all the information they need. But remember, especially with PTSD, that it may take longer to hear a reply. Always keep in contact with your service rep for any updates.

mobie16r

like many have stated before, GAF isn't always used as a rating guide. It can give you a general idea what area you are in. I find that most pysch doctors don't want to give GAf scores, since they differe day to day. It seems, they give you a gaf when they give a diagnosis, then after that, don't report much, unless it is on a specific screen and we dont get copies of it or something.

Since you stated your last GAf score was in 2001, I would bank my own check on the fact they will re-evaluate you and give you a current GAF. They might mention your highest gaf at any one time was that 50. I'm obviously speculating. I know in my own case, they only have given GAf's on CP exams or diagnosis (DSM-IV) write ups. I think your current symptomology and how it affects your everyday life now are what they are going to look at. They also want to connect the dots. If you havent been in treatment since 2001, they are going to want to know why? are you working? (from what I've been told on this forum, the VA tends to keep the max at 50-70% if you are working).

Having letters of support will help as well. Have someone close to you tell what been going on with you since 2001.

Hope I was somewhat helpful and I apologize if I confused you at all.

How could I been given a proper C&P exams while under the influence of the Prozac.clonopin and Trazodone. This was done to me and I was denied Ptsd based on how I answered questions and took computerized diagnosis test. At best I was sais to have a "mood disorder". Before the EXam I had already been diagnosed with clinicial depresseion and panic disorder. That is why I was on these med. Can someone please comment on this. My stressors are concided by the VA and they accured during the TET Offensive in Feb. of 1968.

Edited by myblueraincoat