VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Elevated Liver Enzymes

Rate this question

Fire Courage

Question

Just curious if anyone has had elevated liver enzymes. Mines have been elevated since I've been going to the VAMC back in 1996. I filed a claim on undiagnosed illness for it but of course it was denied. They've tested me for everything! They have ruled out everything it could possibly be and finally gave it a name. They are now calling it non-alcoholic steatohepatitis of the liver. I've had a liver biopsy at the VAMC and it showed fatty deposits. I have never been a big drinker; just an occassional beer every now and again.

Has anyone had elevated liver enzymes and were you able to connect it to service?

Edited by Fire Courage

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I've just been diagnosed with this. High triglycerides (650+) and poor cholesterol since having colon removed. Can't tolerate any statins, so I'll be curious to see how this will turn out.

I've been reading these post, hope everyone is doing well. My husband had an ultrasound done today due to having elevated liver test results. It showed fatty patches.

I have done some research and fo und a med he is on for his AF called (Amiodarone) can cause liver disease. He has also been on cholesterol meds for years. Is anyone else taking Amiodarone? Wondering how we go about connecting this as a secondary to caused by meds?

Thanks so much for your service,

VetswifeIndy

• HadIt.com Elder

Does you husband drink? There are other reasons but the most common one is to much drinking. The good thing is that if it is caused by drinking than stopping will help. As far as a link to statin medication I have been taking them since 1995 and no problems with liver but I also know that the chemical cocktails affect people in different ways.

Whatever is causing it needs to be found out as soon as you can.

"Wondering how we go about connecting this as a secondary to caused by meds?"

If you believe the connection is due to a med he takes for any SC disability, he can file a claim for this as a secondary condition... if this in fact has caused him liver disease at a ratable level.

He will need ,my opinion, a strong IMO that supports the link and that rules out any other etiology.

He could even file a Section 1151 claim as well -but the VA would only award on one of the claims,if his claims are successful.

Statins meds and countless other meds can have significant side affects and cause further problems.

It is good that you are willing to research his meds. But it will take a doctor's opinion to support the nexus.

When you review his meds, see if any are contraindicated by other types of his meds, too.

Pete is right. At this point it is a symptom. The cauedse of the liver disease needs to be determined first and then he can adequately prepare a claim.

Pete, "Does your husband drink"? No, he has never been a drinker of alcohol.

Berta: The med he takes for his SC heart condition is Amiodarone. I researched it yesterday and it does have side affects to scarring of the liver which I believe is called NASH.

We have a cardio appt. on the 2nd. I will have plenty of questions for the doc on that day.

Will post what we find out.

I want to say what a blessing it is to be on this site, and have people with your knowledge that is willing to share with others.

I know there must be hours upon hours of researching done to gain this knowledge. Thanks to everyone who shares!

VetswifeIndy

So I got the reverse of this I have a SC 0% Liver disease which has been called both NAFLD/NASH I have had two biopsy's of the liver one showed Fatty Liver with fibrosis and the other just Fatty Liver. Now The question comes after fighting for years with trying to keep Diabetes under control. I have learned that this may have played a factor in Diabetes does anyone have case evidence I can use that shows NASH/NAFLD can cause Diabetes. I have requested a Eddo consult at the VA to see if I can get a nexus letter for linking DMII to NASH...Just trying to see if there is case law/studies I can link to...