VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gulf War Syndrome

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

I started a new thread hoping that more would see this thread.

If the conditions are diagnosed and ratable a veteran can be awarded service connection if they can be linked to service. Examples: Fibromyalgia 5025, Depression 9434, Eczema 7806, and IBS 7319 which could be confused with GERD ((acid reflux) 7346 and both of these conditions falls under the condition of gastrointestinal symptoms).

I was diagnosed by two VA doctors that I had/have Gulf war syndrome. During the gulf war era I was stationed with Special Forces and I took all the pre-deployment medication and shots. I felt/feel that even though I did not deploy my duties caused me to be contaminated by equipment, personnel, pre-deployment medication and shots. VA denied my claims. Since I was actually diagnosed with twelve of the fourteen conditions, I started filing for the specific conditions and I was awarded service connection for most of them. If you are diagnosed with undiagnosed illnesses, they are what you have to file your claim for. If you are diagnosed with specific illnesses, they are what you have to file your claims for. They are:

The following are examples of symptoms of an undiagnosed illness: chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, skin disorders, headache, muscle pain, joint pain, neurological symptoms, neuropsychological symptoms, symptoms involving the respiratory system, sleep disturbances, gastrointestinal symptoms, cardiovascular symptoms, abnormal weight loss, and menstrual disorders.

I would suggest that all Gulf War veterans have their doctors to give them exams for these illnesses to determine if they can be diagnosed, if they are diagnosed then file a claim to determine if they are service related.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I started a new thread hoping that more would see this thread.

If the conditions are diagnosed and ratable a veteran can be awarded service connection if they can be linked to service. Examples: Fibromyalgia 5025, Depression 9434, Eczema 7806, and IBS 7319 which could be confused with GERD ((acid reflux) 7346 and both of these conditions falls under the condition of gastrointestinal symptoms).

I was diagnosed by two VA doctors that I had/have Gulf war syndrome. During the gulf war era I was stationed with Special Forces and I took all the pre-deployment medication and shots. I felt/feel that even though I did not deploy my duties caused me to be contaminated by equipment, personnel, pre-deployment medication and shots. VA denied my claims. Since I was actually diagnosed with twelve of the fourteen conditions, I started filing for the specific conditions and I was awarded service connection for most of them. If you are diagnosed with undiagnosed illnesses, they are what you have to file your claim for. If you are diagnosed with specific illnesses, they are what you have to file your claims for. They are:

The following are examples of symptoms of an undiagnosed illness: chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, skin disorders, headache, muscle pain, joint pain, neurological symptoms, neuropsychological symptoms, symptoms involving the respiratory system, sleep disturbances, gastrointestinal symptoms, cardiovascular symptoms, abnormal weight loss, and menstrual disorders.

I would suggest that all Gulf War veterans have their doctors to give them exams for these illnesses to determine if they can be diagnosed, if they are diagnosed then file a claim to determine if they are service related.

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the advice, I, appreciate the advice. As posted I have a current claim for chronic Diarrhia, head aches, and joint pain. If they are denied as I expect, I will press my PCP to diagnos these. Although I do have a diagnosis for Migraines from an earlier hospitalization and an entry note from the same hospitalization stating probable IBS. I will wait and see.

Thanks,

Bergie

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the advice, I, appreciate the advice. As posted I have a current claim for chronic Diarrhia, head aches, and joint pain. If they are denied as I expect, I will press my PCP to diagnos these. Although I do have a diagnosis for Migraines from an earlier hospitalization and an entry note from the same hospitalization stating probable IBS. I will wait and see.

Thanks,

Bergie

Just some information

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/fibromyalgia/a/ibsfms.htm

Hope this helps

Hey Pete,

I hope you are still there? I hope you are well. I have been trying to understand the circle of madness from the V.A.. I have been diagnosed with PTSD/Severe Depression and Anxiety from the Gulf War. I was in the USAF. My specialty was accounting and finance, but when the Gulf War kicked off, my war time job was traning Chem Detox (we deal with soldiers who come into contact with chemical and biological agents). I was subject to vaccinations like you, however, I never got deployed very much like your situation.

Since 1992, I have been experiencing a series of 10 out of the 13 illness: Fatigue, Skin problems, Headaches, Muscle and Joint Pains, Neurological Sings and Neuropsych problems, Sleep disturbances, Menstrual disorders that lead to loss of female reproductive organs, and Gastro: Diverticulitis, all but Cardio and Respiratory and weight loss. They are treating me for Lupus, but said that I might have Firbomyalgia symptoms, but my diagnosis is "unexplained". Until I started researching, I was upset because I wanted to have a diagnosis to I can finish my C&P claim. However, I actually do not want a diagnosis, because from what I understand, if it is unexplained mutli-symptoms, it would be easier for me to get SMC. I currently am deteriorating at a fast rate. My husband is in danger of losing his job. I cannot be left home alone. My legs lock up and I have hard time getting around and to and from appointments. I have at least 9 doctors/treatment team treating me weekly since I got out in 1992. I just wrote the my local Environment Health Coordinators for War Related Injury and told them that I need to be screened further. I was told that I do not qualify for GWR (registry) because I did not directly serve in the Gulf. My VFW Rep told me to challenge the VA Medical Center to do a full exam. My records state that all of my 10 out of 13 symptoms have been consistent throughout my VA/Military records. I am 70% UI, however, I am asking for a C & P because of the unexplained/undiagnosed illnesses.

I was glad when I read your post, because I have not heard of anyone who qualified for SMC, that have not been physically to the Gulf, that was in a similar situation like the both of us. I hope you are well? Happy Holidays!!!

Hey Pete,

Thanks,

Bergie