VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Wife Seeking Advise

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

I hope someone can offer some advise B) My Viet Nam Vet husband has had medical symptoms for some time. Because of not having health insurance he put off going to the doctor and tried to handle problems through vitamins etc. He finally consented to going to the VA for help. He has just begun treatment for Diabetis type 2, hypertention, hyperlipidemia, advanced cardiac artery disease, periferal neuropathy, tinnitus and ED which is a result of all the medications). They thought he had a heart attack during the stress test so they sent him for a nuclear profusion test which was positive. We went to private facilty and paid for a CT of his heart. His cardiac score is 1720 well over the dangerous 400 that the radiologist says is very high. The VA cardiologist doesn't want to do an angiogram because he feels the cardiac surgeon will want to do heart surgery. He doesn't think surgery will improve my husband's quality of life. If my husband has a heart attact or chest pain that isn't controlled through medication, then he will recommend further help. Needless to say we are very overwhelmed right now.

We filed some paperwok with VA in February and now they want him to prove related service connected illness. What is our next step and is there going to be more exams or will they take the only medical records we have (which are very recent since last october) through the VA? Is this going to be enough to help us? Will he be elligible for a percentage of service realted disability. Needless to say my 61 year old husband is no longer working and he has filed for SSD which is going to take months (or so we've been told). Any advise or direction is appreciated. Thank you all.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

From my own experience his diabetic condition will qualify him for disability, the ED and heart condition, as well as many other conditions can be linked to his diabetic conditon. He need to immediately file for his beneifits through his state VA reps or a service organization ie; DAV, VVA, American Leigon etc.

How much and when he qualifies for will depend on your documenting his medical history, his C&P exam and your willingness to pursue this and not let the VA wear you out with paperwork and denial of your claim. Just keep pushing and good luck.

Howard Sessions

Almost All of those conditions can be associated with DMII.Tinnitus can be associatiated to his inservice MOS in Vietnam.

As long as he was an incountry Vietnam vet- the claim should succeed.

If I were you I would send them copies of any recent medical evidence, as he accumulates it, with a cover letter stating it is in support of his AO DMII claim.

Also I will attach the TDIU form- 100% rate of disability due to unemployability-

under Remarks # 25 he can refer them to additional p[age and he should list all of his meds and their side affects to him as well as a clear statement that each of these disabilities he claims are from his DMII and I would list them all again-

Also he should check off yes for the # 18 question-since he is applying for SSA benefits.

More than likely the SSA award will come first- then that can be used as evidence with VA for TDIU-

dont depend on the VA to get your SSA files- better to do that your self -unless they are quite extensive (they get a lot of info) but the award letter and the SSA disabiliy determination statement can help the TDIU claim.

There is always possibility that the VA would find anything you send in that is current medical info is enough to award the claim-if the VA award comes first, this is good evidence for the SSA claim if that is still pending.

"We filed some paperwok with VA in February and now they want him to prove related service connected illness."

Are they asking how the conditions are all associated to DMII?

The DMII Training leter is at hadit- if you cant find let me know- I posted it here again last month-

they recognize these associated conditions but still they will need a doctors statement as to the association.

My own local vet rep with DMII and heart disease had a heck of a time getting his HBP associated to his DMII but finally he succeeded.

As you can see here at hadit- even the most logical and well supported claims are often denied by the VA and the veteran has to fight back.

They are not questioning in your above statement-his exposure to Agent Orange , are they?

Edited by Berta

forgot-----

TDIU form

TDIU_form.pdf

Guest jangrin
Almost All of those conditions can be associated with DMII.Tinnitus can be associatiated to his inservice MOS in Vietnam.

As long as he was an incountry Vietnam vet- the claim should succeed.

If I were you I would send them copies of any recent medical evidence, as he accumulates it, with a cover letter stating it is in support of his AO DMII claim.

Also I will attach the TDIU form- 100% rate of disability due to unemployability-

under Remarks # 25 he can refer them to additional p[age and he should list all of his meds and their side affects to him as well as a clear statement that each of these disabilities he claims are from his DMII and I would list them all again-

Also he should check off yes for the # 18 question-since he is applying for SSA benefits.

More than likely the SSA award will come first- then that can be used as evidence with VA for TDIU-

dont depend on the VA to get your SSA files- better to do that your self -unless they are quite extensive (they get a lot of info) but the award letter and the SSA disabiliy determination statement can help the TDIU claim.

There is always possibility that the VA would find anything you send in that is current medical info is enough to award the claim-if the VA award comes first, this is good evidence for the SSA claim if that is still pending.

"We filed some paperwok with VA in February and now they want him to prove related service connected illness."

Are they asking how the conditions are all associated to DMII?

The DMII Training leter is at hadit- if you cant find let me know- I posted it here again last month-

they recognize these associated conditions but still they will need a doctors statement as to the association.

My own local vet rep with DMII and heart disease had a heck of a time getting his HBP associated to his DMII but finally he succeeded.

As you can see here at hadit- even the most logical and well supported claims are often denied by the VA and the veteran has to fight back.

They are not questioning in your above statement-his exposure to Agent Orange , are they?

Guest jangrin

Berta,

Thank you for your response. I down loaded the TDUI & DM II training quide. Very helpful. The letter we recieved it seems are asking for specific incidense for PTSD. Also for hearing loss and tinnitus. The paperwork also wants us to supply all heart information and sign releases of information for records. They are telling us to link all physical ailments to the DM II by doctor statement. All of the physical problems have been pretty much diagnosed at one time, since he waited so long before going into the VA clinic.

They also wanted my husband to choose to have them decide claim right away or wait 60 days or longer to let us submit more medical facts. Not sure if he should let them go ahead and then appeal and send in TDUI once they make thier determination. The ED was not included in the original claim. We need to add it somehow. Not sure how to add on to claim. This is surely going to be a learning process. Will he be asked to go to a C & P exam. No one mentioned it when he filed his claim. Is there a link that explains the step by step process. Also does the VA or SSD offset each other financially once ratings and disability percent is determined?

Thanks again, I am feeling very uninformed regarding the whole process.