VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu Or 100% Pt

Rate this question

maine1963

Question

Ok, started my claim in June 2006... Long and short of it - I am now at 80%, but fighting for either IU or Permanent and Total.

My question is this: How do they determine when (if approved) to pay you for IU? My claim started in Oct. 2006 was approved for 60% by Jan 2007, increased to 80% in April 2009... but each time I was denied IU.

My thought is that they may give me 100% PT, but I should have been on IU ALL THIS time... so will I get back pay and to what starting point.

I am told that my claim is complete and is in a "30 day" window for descision. Togus VA (Augusta Maine) has been great to deal with and I have NO COMPLAINTS!! I am just curious about the fine details.

God bless you all and Happy New Year!

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you had evidence in 2006 that you were unemployable when you finally get the award it should go back to 2006. However, chances are they will try to make effective on the day they approve it after they get the IU form. Why has the VA denied your IU. You have 80% so you meet the schedular requirement for IU. Are they saying some other NSC condition is the cause of your being unemployable?

The likely start date will be when you submitted your claim for IU or P&T or both. If you have evidence that goes back (less than a year) before you filed your claim then they should give you backpay to that date.

Otherwise, it starts when you filed.

John asked a good question. Do you have any other conditions besides the ones you're service connected for that the VA may use to deny IU?

Do you receive SSD soley for your service connected conditions? Also, if you were denied Voc Rehab due to your disablities that will help immensly too. Of course you can get IU or PT without these, they just help a lot with the process.

Jerr

My thought is that they may give me 100% PT, but I should have been on IU ALL THIS time... so will I get back pay and to what starting point.

I am told that my claim is complete and is in a "30 day" window for descision. Togus VA (Augusta Maine) has been great to deal with and I have NO COMPLAINTS!! I am just curious about the fine details.

God bless you all and Happy New Year!

Edited by jerrbilly