VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prolonged Exposure

Rate this question

clw4514

Question

ok, so ive been mostly absent from here and everywhere else for several months. depression & anxiety escalating. individual therapist strongly suggested prolonged exposure. anyone been thru this? seems like crap science to me. then again, what do i know. input, experiences, etc will be very much appreciated.

TIA....

Christy

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I completed prolonged exposure in Nov. 09, what they do is gradually increase your exposure by working with you regarding levels of difficulty. Like going out in crowded places for me was very difficult so I started by going to places with few to no people and working up to more crowded situations. Honestly, with the help of the therapist I did improve while in the treatment. However, soon after the "reasearch study" ended I digressed to where I started. I would not do it again to many bad memories, and don't recommend it. The problem is that once the VA cuts you loose your on your own and left high and dry (SOL). I had a 2 week follow up after I completed the "therapy" and let them know I felt abandoned again by the VA. I was told that they had so many other vets that needed this treatment that they could not continue to see me, that I was lucky that I was selected in the first place. What a crock of dodo.

Hope this helps,

Bergie

omg! they just dropped u? i cant handle that! damn near panic now just thinking about it! how could they do that? i hope u were able to get help else where....im making a list of all of my concerns now. thanks so much for bringing that to my attn.

• HadIt.com Elder

My private clinical psychologist is really good at helping PTSD people. We had a group in the early days and at least three of us had the Vietnam PTSD syndrome. We focused on present day problems. We did not dwell on the bad stuff unless someone wanted to talk about it. When people feel safe is when they open up and reveal the feelings that are driving them.

Carlie you are so correct!!! I went through that cpt program of exposure therapy all that I accomplished was more and stronger anxiety, nightmares every night instead of 3 or 4 times a week, the shrink had to increase my meds dosage after that program!!! Been too long for me, you're talking 40 plus years since I went through all of the combat tramua and it still seems like yesterday!! I haven't even been to the "Wall" yet and don't think I can!!! Too much bad sh*t happened. You can't talk about these stressors like you would discuss a TV program or news article, who in the he** are they trying to fool!!! Take the meds, go to a group where you have something in common including stressor types, age, conflict etc. and hope the VA sends you a nice envelope with good news before you croak.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is desparately looking for a quick fix to the PTSD problem. They look ahead and see hundreds of thousands of potential PTSD claims coming at them as long as we are fighting the war on terror. They are blinking like hell. It is about getting Uncle Sam off cheap.

omg! they just dropped u? i cant handle that! damn near panic now just thinking about it! how could they do that? i hope u were able to get help else where....im making a list of all of my concerns now. thanks so much for bringing that to my attn.

I've pretty much given up on the VA's psych program, I was told it is designed to help for up to a year of routine appts and after that they cut you loose. I now go to the vet center they are far and above the VA. The nice thing is they have access to the VA's records but the VA cannot access their records. The thing with the VA"s psych program is they want the public to think they are there for the vets when in reality they are a joke. Go to the vet center they are there for you they have no time limits nothing. I go once a week for 1-1.5hrs never rushed and I will never go to the VA for psych issues again. I recommend you find your local vet center and try them, I think you will be much happier and experience.

Bergie

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Here is a link to the Vet Centers:

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov

Bergie is right. Even the atmosphere at the Vet Center is completely different. I was surprised that they had live plants, fresh coffee, and a working television in their waiting room. The person I talked with actually had a couch, which is very important because case studies show people tend to be more comfortable talking about what's on their mind if they are laying down. I don't know if all of them are like that, but I felt like I was treated like a person and not just taking up space.

The VA MH center had a shoddy waiting room that gives you this uncomfortable feeling that they are ready to pounce on you if you try to escape. Yikes!