VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Two Year Wait For Dro Review

free_spirit_etc

Question

I just got an answer to the IRIS I sent December 8 which informs me that the reviews on my NODs will be two years after they were received.

"A review of of your two pending Notices of disagreements are still pending. The Department of Veterans Affairs has maintained the dates of the notification you have sent to the Chicago Regional Office.

The Notice of Disagreement for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation which has been noted as being received as of November 12, 2008 with a Decision Review Officer (DRO) is scheduled for November 13, 2010.

The Notice of Disagreement for Helpless Child claim has been noted as being received as of July 16, 2009 with a review scheduled for July 17, 2011.

All notices of disagreements and appeals are worked in order of receipt at the Regional Office."

Ughhhh - two years.......

However, I also received my VCAA Notice in June 2007. It took almost a year to get a copy of the C-file. I asked for an extension of time to submit evidence, as I was not provided with the information I needed from THEM until almost a year after the VCAA Notice.

And actually, I had been specifically requesting a copy of my husband's discharge physical and the Medical Opinion they used to deny my claim (in order to get an IMO) and still have not received those.

However, I did submit my evidence in June 2008 (within one year of the VCAA Notice), as I was not informed whether my request for extension was granted. In that I submitted the evidence within one year of the VCAA Notice, I requested that my claim be re-adjudicated. (In that they adjudicated my claim seven months prior to the one year allowed for me to submit evidence and six months before they had provided me with a copy of the C-file).

The VA denied getting this - though it was sent by certified mail, though I have a signed return receipt, and though I sent an IRIS the day I mailed it informing them that I sent it and the Certified Mail receipt number. (In all the communication back and forth on that IRIS, the VA employee never mentioned that they did not receive the evidence..)

Anyway - I resubmitted the evidence under the Special Claims Handling for Missing Documents.

So do I still have the right to ask that my claim be re-adjudicated - as the evidence should now be considered constructively received by the VA as of the date I mailed it, or the date they signed the return receipt card?

Would it be wise to request this? Or will I just be adding another step in my claim that will make it take longer? (...in that if they don't grant the claim at the initial level - I will have another two year wait for the DRO review.)

And if they do re-adjudicate it - can I still submit evidence to be considered? (i.e. an IMO)or will they only consider the evidence that was submitted within one year of the VCAA Notice?

Thanks,

Free

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Free

It really concerns me that your claim is being treated this way.

On that note, I have a Veteran friend that I am assisting going through the same situation (no acknowledgement of receipt of fast letter reconsideration or evidence that he submitted many years ago) despite the Fast Letter Instructions.

While there are Laws, rules, regulagtions, fast letters, Court Decisions and etc. that supposed to be adhered to by the VAROs, the problem is that there is nobody, to include the Office of Veterans Administration Inspection General, that has a personal interest of the individual veteran.

One Vet informed me that he wrote the VAOIG Hotline last year and did not get as much of a receipt confirmation from the site.

Despite the many substantiated complaints that Veterans make in regards to the treatment of thier claims, there is only temporary solutions that are like short candles that burn out quickly and the veterans are again in the dark.

While these forums are a good place for gathering information on how to best file and track your your claim, it will do nothing to change the VARO claim delays. The reconsiderations submitted under Secretary Peake's fast letter 08-41, is not even being discussed in any particular polictical or for that matter Veterans forums. Check it out if you do not believe me! Fast Letter 08-41 is old news on any internet search engine site.

While the claim is important to you, please do not stress over it to much, that will only keep you stressed out! If you have done all that you can do, my recommendation is to just wait it out-WITHOUT STRESSING LIKE MANY VETERANS DO!

TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK!

Lois

Just somebody that is helping Veterans that cannot help themselves.

Free

While these forums are a good place for gathering information on how to best file and track your your claim, it will do nothing to change the VARO claim delays. The reconsiderations submitted under Secretary Peake's fast letter 08-41, is not even being discussed in any particular polictical or for that matter Veterans forums. Check it out if you do not believe me! Fast Letter 08-41 is old news on any internet search engine site.

Lois

Just somebody that is helping Veterans that cannot help themselves.

lcpmom,

Welcome to Hadit.

For the record fastletter 08-41 IS OLD NEWS on just about any

and every Veterans web site around.

jmho,

carlie

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-7...%26%26CODE%3D00

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&saf...5%3Avf35wo-anhl

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfnov08/nf111708-1.htm

Carlie

Yes fast letter 08-41 is on these sites but there is no current issues. Just the same repeated old information about what is supposed to happen, but no issues from political interest or VA responding to the mishandling or diregard/delay of Veterans claims that are being requested to be reconsideration under the temporary authority. It seems that noone wants to touch and just want it to go away like past VA issues where the Veterans documents were either lost or mishandled.

Lois

lcpmom,

Welcome to Hadit.

For the record fastletter 08-41 IS OLD NEWS on just about any

and every Veterans web site around.

jmho,

carlie

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-7...%26%26CODE%3D00

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&saf...5%3Avf35wo-anhl

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfnov08/nf111708-1.htm

Thanks both of you for your answers. I do realize that the Special Claims Handling for Missing Documents is old news. And I know even more now after reading the links. So thanks for sharing them. But I am not quite sure how that applies to my claim.

I am not quite understanding if that was to answer my questions or just to give me information. I apologize, but I think I am missing something.

I do realize the procedure won't speed up the processing of my claim. In fact, my concern was that it would slow it down.

It is my understanding that if you submit evidence within one year of receiving the VCAA notice the VA has to re-adjudicate your claim (if they adjudicated it prior to that time).

I received my VCAA notice June 2007. The VA adjudicated my claim November 2007. I sent evidence to support my claim June 2008 (within one year of the notice). I also asked the VA to re-adjudicate my claim, based on the fact that I had sent the evidence within one year.

They denied getting the evidence (thus the eligibility for Special Claims Handling). They did not re-adjudicate my claim. I didn't think that the special claims handling would speed up my claim - but it should , in the very least, put me in the position where the VA acknowledges that the evidence sent in response to the VCAA notice was submitted within the allowable time-frame (as evidenced by my tracking information, signed return receipt, and IRIS to them when I mailed it).

At this point they have informed me that I have a DRO review Nov. 2010.

A major question I have is - should I just wait for the DRO review in November and skip requesting the re-adjudication again? Or should I request my claim be re-adjudicated - adding one more step to the process - and probably more time - especially as my claim would probably not be re-adjudicated as early as November 2010. There might be two year wait for that. And if it is not granted, that would make it another two year wait for the DRO review.

And if I ask for a re-adjudication, can I still submit more evidence (i.e. an IMO) to be considered at that time.

And if I skip the re-adjudication, do I run the risk of the BVA remanding my case because my claim was not re-adjudicated upon receipt of the evidence submitted in response to the VA notice.

I apologize for being so rusty with the VA procedures. I have been busy learning more than I wanted to know about Social Security the past couple of years.

Thanks,

Free

"They denied getting the evidence (thus the eligibility for Special Claims Handling). They did not re-adjudicate my claim. I didn't think that the special claims handling would speed up my claim - but it should , in the very least, put me in the position where the VA acknowledges that the evidence sent in response to the VCAA notice was submitted within the allowable time-frame (as evidenced by my tracking information, signed return receipt, and IRIS to them when I mailed it). "

Did you respond to their letter saying they did not get the evidence with copy of proof of mailing?

It appears you asked for DRO review-and 2 years is about right on the average for these reviews-

however you can submit more info at any time the claim is pending.

If their denials have been based on a lack of medical evidence to support your claim- I feel no one should wait to get an IMO as this could turn a claim around- if they read it.

The VA has established a Survivor's office that a survivor can contact via the VA web site.

"Welcome to the Office of Survivors Assistance (OSA). We were established within the Department of Veterans

Affairs in December 2008 in accordance with Public Law 110-389.

OSA's main function is intended to be an advisor to the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs on all

policies, programs, legislative issues and other initiatives affecting survivors and dependents of deceased veterans

and service members. In addition to advising the Secretary, we have assumed the following responsibilities:

* Monitor the delivery of survivors benefits and services

* Provide internal policy guidance and oversight of survivors benefits

* Provide oversight for directed outreach programming to survivors

* Actively seek information from external stakeholders on survivors issues

* Track and recommend survivor legislative issues

* Charter national databases on survivor programs and services

* Prepare annual and special reports and responses to Congressional inquiries

Although we are not equipped or chartered to be a claims processing organization, we will assist wherever possible

in referring issues to the appropriate VA Department.

As we move forward, we are fully committed to staying in step with the needs of survivors and are prepared to take

on other roles as needed in order to remain a viable advocate for the VA survivor community.

We hope you wll find this site helpful. If you have suggestions about information you'd like to see on the website,

please contact us as OfficeofSurvivors@va.gov.

Jim Hanley

Director"

Although their functions are limited in many cases only to 'monitor' claims of survivors, they were helpful to me recently as they found my situation was one that was so unusual they said they would actively monitor the way it was being handled.

I need to contact them again because the OGC took immediate steps to correct my award when I sent complaint to the OGC and the VARO is finally working on my monetary award and my ancillary benefits.

With this limited monitoring- this is still a big step for VA to take as the OSA will get a picture of the overall way survivors are treated by the VA and how poorly their claims are often handled.

Since you filed the Special Handling request due to the October incident it seems this would be a situation that they would want to monitor and track.

Did you respond to their letter saying they did not get the evidence with copy of proof of mailing?

They didn't send me a letter telling me that. I sent them an IRIS informing them I sent it - with the certified mail number. And their IRIS response was that I needed to tell them what I was submitting evidence for - as they said the only claim I had open was the burial claim. I responded it was for my DIC claim - and though they had made a decision in November 2007, that I wanted it re-adjudicated now that I had submitted additional evidence within one year from the VCAA Notice. We went back and forth about that awhile, as well as about me trying to obtain a copy of the medical opinion that was used to deny my claim. We had several exchanges between June and October. Never once did she mention they had not received the evidence. She just kept acting like I didn't have a claim open. I finally asked point blank in October "Did you receive the packet of evidence?" She responded that they did not, and told me that there was no advantage to sending anything by certified mail - and that I should just use regular mail next time.

????? I sent an IRIS - As I have not heard if I have been granted an extension of time, I am submitting the following evidence within one year of my VCAA Notice - and LISTS what I sent. I sent it today. The certified mail receipt number is ____." And her response to that is "what claim???" Never bothered to mention they didn't receive it. But then tells me NOT to use certified mail anymore???

It appears you asked for DRO review-and 2 years is about right on the average for these reviews-

however you can submit more info at any time the claim is pending.

If their denials have been based on a lack of medical evidence to support your claim- I feel no one should wait to get an IMO as this could turn a claim around- if they read it.

The VA has established a Survivor's office that a survivor can contact via the VA web site.

"Welcome to the Office of Survivors Assistance (OSA). We were established within the Department of Veterans

Affairs in December 2008 in accordance with Public Law 110-389.

OSA's main function is intended to be an advisor to the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs on all

policies, programs, legislative issues and other initiatives affecting survivors and dependents of deceased veterans

and service members. In addition to advising the Secretary, we have assumed the following responsibilities:

* Monitor the delivery of survivors benefits and services

* Provide internal policy guidance and oversight of survivors benefits

* Provide oversight for directed outreach programming to survivors

* Actively seek information from external stakeholders on survivors issues

* Track and recommend survivor legislative issues

* Charter national databases on survivor programs and services

* Prepare annual and special reports and responses to Congressional inquiries

Although we are not equipped or chartered to be a claims processing organization, we will assist wherever possible

in referring issues to the appropriate VA Department.

As we move forward, we are fully committed to staying in step with the needs of survivors and are prepared to take

on other roles as needed in order to remain a viable advocate for the VA survivor community.

We hope you wll find this site helpful. If you have suggestions about information you'd like to see on the website,

please contact us as OfficeofSurvivors@va.gov.

Jim Hanley

Director"

Thanks for that information. I will get in touch with them. Maybe they can help make sure I get the rest of the burial claim too. They paid $300 for the funeral, but said there was no evidence I incurred internment expenses. I am not sure what they had because they lost the burial claim a couple times. They even called me and admitted they lost it and asked me to send it in again. I re-submitted the evidence for that too - with my NOD. I thought they might go ahead and pay the rest when I sent a copy of the bills. But they sent me a letter to see if I wanted a DRO review or the traditional appeals process. So I guess that will be a couple years too.

Although their functions are limited in many cases only to 'monitor' claims of survivors, they were helpful to me recently as they found my situation was one that was so unusual they said they would actively monitor the way it was being handled.

I need to contact them again because the OGC took immediate steps to correct my award when I sent complaint to the OGC and the VARO is finally working on my monetary award and my ancillary benefits.

I am interested in how the OGC works. I filed a complaint with the OCG for Social Security. And it is very hard to even find information on how they process claims. I did not hear from them for about a year. And then they sent a letter that they had found "multiple processing errors" in the handling of our claims - but that no discrimination had occurred. I am not really all that concerned as to whether they call it multiple processing errors or discrimination - but what concerned me is that though they admitted they discovered multiple processing errors, when they explained why they did not find discrimination - they used a whole lot of incorrect information.

They even said their investigation revealed that I had a telephone appointment, and that I was not available to take the call, and that I showed up at the local office instead, but the worker explained that they couldn't see me because of their need to handle appointments. They even have the exact time I allegedly showed up at the office.

Ahem... I DID take the call. My phone bill shows a 17 minute INCOMING call from SSA. I took the call - we talked 17 minutes. I did not go to the local office.

I have no idea why they would be reporting that I didn't take a call that is CLEARLY on my phone bill - or come up with this whole scenario about how I showed up at the local office instead. But it concerns me that someone is documenting things about me that are not true. (And I just gave one example of the misinformation. There are a lot more.)

Does the OGC do their own investigation? Or do they just send your complaint to the local office and then report whatever the local office told them? I am puzzled.

I did file an appeal to the OGC letter last July. But I have not heard anything on that yet.

Again. This is Social Security (the OGC stuff) - Not VA.

But is there a place to find information about the steps in the process of filing a complaint. All I have been able to find was the complaint form. But I haven't been able to locate information about what occurs after a complaint is filed, the process, the time-line, etc.

With this limited monitoring- this is still a big step for VA to take as the OSA will get a picture of the overall way survivors are treated by the VA and how poorly their claims are often handled.

I hope so.

Since you filed the Special Handling request due to the October incident it seems this would be a situation that they would want to monitor and track.

I hope so.