VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Pension Nsf And Social Security

tempys

are you saying that it took nine years for your award of SSDI ? and they gave you the award in 2010 retro back to 2001? if so, than whatever moneys you received from 2005 forward on your NSC pension will be recovered by the VA. This how I think it works, at least it was for me. It's considered an Overpayment.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it's "RETRO" I don't think you have to pay that back. 99% sure on that. I know I didn't have to pay my SSI back when I got my VA retro so i'm pretty sure it works both ways. This could obviously put veterans in a bind financially.

Jerr

Can one of you experts out in Internet land advise me whether I will have to repay all my VA Pension (NSD) Benefits back that I have recieved from the VA since 2005, if I have just won my Social Security that was filed in 2001 and they backpay me to then? :D
Edited by jerrbilly

:D Pete, I hope you are right....I know I have to let VA know when I get my SS Disability and I believe it will take some time for the approval to until the 1st check. If they notify me when that happens and what date it will start i will notify VA. The problem I was concerned with is that my SS Disability will be back paid from 2001 and I started recieving NSD from VA in 2005. I hope you are correct, it will be a good start for 2010, if I do not have to repay all the NSD to VA. Brian

If you have already received an award letter, DON"T wait...........notify the VA immediately, even if you have not received your first check. The longer you wait to notify, to more you will need to payback to the VA. Your VA checks won't stop immediately, it sometimes takes them months to process your request.

Good luck.

Since it's "RETRO" I don't think you have to pay that back. 99% sure on that. I know I didn't have to pay my SSI back when I got my VA retro so i'm pretty sure it works both ways. This could obviously put veterans in a bind financially.

Jerr

The reason you didn't have to pay SSDI back when you got your VA SC retro is because you are permitted to collect both. But you cannot collect SSDI and VA Pension. It's one or the other..the greater of the two. More than likely your SSDI will usually be greater than the VA pension.

The reason you didn't have to pay SSDI back when you got your VA SC retro is because you are permitted to collect both. But you cannot collect SSDI and VA Pension. It's one or the other..the greater of the two. More than likely your SSDI will usually be greater than the VA pension.

Trust me, the VA is not going to let anyone walk away from repayment, unless you can prove a significant hardship case.