VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Received My Military Personnel Records

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I finally received my military personnel records. After a quick review, I found that it was just a copy of the contents of my 201 file. It also had my DD214, copies of awards, but contained no content specific to any of my units. Is that normal?

I did some digging and a couple of my units were shut down.

I know there may be retention periods for certain documents, but was hoping to get copies of training records, PT tests, counseling statements from when I was young and stupid, etc...

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

How long did it take to get your records after you made a request? Did you do it online or mail them a request? I just mailed mine and was wondering what time I should get up and check my Mail Box??

Thanks..

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I did mine online and printed out the signature form. I had to fax the form to their office, but it took about a month to get my files.

• HadIt.com Elder

My lawyer says it is very common for the military not to send all your records to St. Louis. If you get a incomplete military record you have to start turning over rocks. The people who handle such records are lazy and don't give a rat's ass about some vet trying to get records. 6 months of psychiatric records are missing from my military records. I can't find them either. Now that it has been forty years I bet they got shredded. I wrote the base where I had treatment and they said the records were in St. Louis. St. Louis said they don't have them. Did they just go up in smoke? Maybe.