VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Compensation And Working A Job... 50% 60% 70%....100%

Rate this question

OEF n' Home Again

Question

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

There is no rule for working with Physical disabilities. You can be 100 percent and still work.

If you are considered TDIU or unemployable then working is a NO NO.

Mental disabilities from What I take you may be able to work up to 70 percent but the regs strictly forbid working at 100 percent as the regs states in order to receive 100 percent mental working is precluded.

James Breckinridge can provide some more info.

J

0 - 70% (any condition) = work all you want

100% (except mental) = work all you want

TDIU = only marginal employment below poverty levels is allowed by VA regulations. I think it's around $950/month. Anything over that will be considered gainful.

NOTE: If you're applying for TDIU and you're working, even a part-time job, you will be denied.

Jerr

I'm sure this has been asked before, but at what disability rating are we no longer allowed to work at?

I am not sure if the VA would do this, but I look forward to your input.

Thanks,

OEF

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry "j" but I'm going to disagree, w/you, on the 100% mental precluding working. While that may be part of the mental disorder 100% description, a claimant does not need to meet all those signs/symptoms to be considered 100%. So, I believe, anything less than gainful employment, ie; marginal employment, could be allowed, which could include part-time employment. jmo

pr

There is no rule for working with Physical disabilities. You can be 100 percent and still work.

If you are considered TDIU or unemployable then working is a NO NO.

Mental disabilities from What I take you may be able to work up to 70 percent but the regs strictly forbid working at 100 percent as the regs states in order to receive 100 percent mental working is precluded.

James Breckinridge can provide some more info.

J

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder
Sorry "j" but I'm going to disagree, w/you, on the 100% mental precluding working. While that may be part of the mental disorder 100% description, a claimant does not need to meet all those signs/symptoms to be considered 100%. So, I believe, anything less than gainful employment, ie; marginal employment, could be allowed, which could include part-time employment. jmo

pr

I just posted the regs the way they are written. and according to the regs:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name

Basically this tells me that in order to get 100 perdent for a mental disorder work is not an option.

I would not risk it knowing these regs if I had a 100 percent mental disability.

Thanks PR. Keep busting my chops.

Ha Ha.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of the paid service reps are 100% so I believe that there are some exceptions. I also think that if you are 100% for mental there is a good reason not to work.The reason is the VA is paying you 15 an hour or more not to work. So to make work worthwhile you would probably need to get a job that paid over 22 an hour to net that.

My DAV rep is 100%.

jerr

Many of the paid service reps are 100% so I believe that there are some exceptions. I also think that if you are 100% for mental there is a good reason not to work.The reason is the VA is paying you 15 an hour or more not to work. So to make work worthwhile you would probably need to get a job that paid over 22 an hour to net that.