VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

OEF n' Home Again

Question

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In the situation you describe you probably won't be admitted, but it's a judgement call. I know my shrink was giving it some deliberation last week, and honestly, I wouldn't have minded the break, from my reality.

Oh and if you do get committed, you will be in for a minimum of 3-4 days, and possibly up to two weeks depending on your behavior. I have heard of some guys while I was in 6 week program who were gaming the system a little by getting admitted and then getting out in 3 days. Very dissapointing, but I also heard that they really got freaked out by the other vets while they were in there.

Gaming the system to get admitted. Why would anyone want to be admitted?

Jerr

I have heard of some guys while I was in 6 week program who were gaming the system a little by getting admitted and then getting out in 3 days. Very dissapointing, but I also heard that they really got freaked out by the other vets while they were in there.

• HadIt.com Elder

In 1991 I spent a month in the VA Lock up Ward. It was no picnic. Since than the VA has shortened the stay and also cut beds to save VA money.

Most of my days were unproductive. We would see Docs early in morning answer a couple of questions and sometimes scheduled for tests or appointments in Hospital. As a patient you can get a lot of things done quickly that you can't do if you are not in hospital.

I personally feel that my stay at the VA helped my Social Security Claim and did nothing much to help my VA claim but that is how it goes. As far as being better when I left I did not feel that happened at that time. I was more confused than when I went in.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can be admitted against your will in Florida under the Baker Act. You have to go before a judge to get out. You get Baker Acted if the cops or a doctor believes you are an immediate threat to yourself or others. People who attempt suicide get Baker Acted. People who kill or try to kill other people get thrown in jail until a judge makes a decision on their mental status. Then they might go to a state institution for the criminallly insane. Just let you mind wonder on what that is like....murders and child rapists on massive doses of anti-psychotic meds. No VA hospital will take really dangerous people.

If you were to tell your VA doctor that when you get home you are going to load your shotgun and kill your neighbor then you probably would get committed against your will. If you try and shoot your neighbor and the cops stop you before you do it, and you are obviously insane you might be put in a nuthouse rather than jail, but probably it would be off to the county jail in my state.

I was committed once but I shouldn't have been.

My neighbor lied to the police and told them I threatened him and that I was going to kill his parakeet. This guy would mow his lawn at midnight.

I told the police,

"This nut mows his lawn at midnight and you're committing me?" They said it would be good for me so I would calm down. I was there for five long days. Everyone at the ward thought I was a counselor. B)

Jerr

In 1991 I spent a month in the VA Lock up Ward. It was no picnic. Since than the VA has shortened the stay and also cut beds to save VA money.

Most of my days were unproductive. We would see Docs early in morning answer a couple of questions and sometimes scheduled for tests or appointments in Hospital. As a patient you can get a lot of things done quickly that you can't do if you are not in hospital.

I personally feel that my stay at the VA helped my Social Security Claim and did nothing much to help my VA claim but that is how it goes. As far as being better when I left I did not feel that happened at that time. I was more confused than when I went in.

jerrbilly,

that's funny that they thought you were a counselor. when I did my six week program i sort of had the same thing, after I got to know everyone in there, I went out to my car and got the NVLSP books out on the regs and laws. I helped do 3 claims while I was in there in the evening. really helped me to feel productive and to help some very needing guys out.

Damn i miss my group.