VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

OEF n' Home Again

Question

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you try and shoot your neighbor and the cops stop you before you do it, and you are obviously insane you might be put in a nuthouse rather than jail, but probably it would be off to the county jail in my state.

John,

You talking about baloney or peanut butter on bread with kool-aid

at Faulkenburg Road in-house restaurant ~lol.

carlie

I agree, it's really important to be open about what is going on inside your mind. They need to know and you need to express it.

I also agree that the idea of being committed is scarier than hell, and I'd go from being a mental patient to a homicide suspect in no time flat if they came for me with a strait jacket.

I've told my therapists the truth - I think about suicide every single day, and yes, I have an assortment of plans that I've fine-tuned to create the "tragic accident" illusion and that will ensure a job well done. No attempts, not me.

I have also told them that I (as yet) am unable to carry out any of these plans because I still have family obligations. I had a friend who committed suicide and my kid had a friend whose parent did it. I also had a co-worker years ago whose husband did it. I saw first hand what the impact was on the child and the spouse, and I will not do that to my family. Thus I need to have no chance that suicide is suspected.

When the day comes that I'm absolutely sure they're better off without me, an accident will happen. That day isn't here yet: my kid is still a kid (not for much longer, though).

Anyway, if you tell them you have SI or HI, you are showing them how bad you feel, how against the wall you are. If you follow that with the reason you can't act on it, whether it be obligations, honor, religion, etc., you should be fine and allowed to go on your miserable way.

I'm starting to get bad vibes about the advice you're giving here. Here on HADIT it's very important to promote honesty.

Jerr

Anyway, if you tell them you have SI or HI, you are showing them how bad you feel, how against the wall you are. If you follow that with the reason you can't act on it, whether it be obligations, honor, religion, etc., you should be fine and allowed to go on your miserable way.

I'm starting to get bad vibes about the advice you're giving here. Here on HADIT it's very important to promote honesty.

Jerr

Whoa, jerrbilly, did I come across like I was advising anyone to lie? I sure didn't mean that. Sometimes the way I say things may be a little disjointed or not come out quite like I mean it - I'm hoping it's the meds and not my brain shriveling up.

I meant that if you are thinking dark thoughts, say so. You shouldn't have to hide the truth, you shouldn't have to say that you aren't thinking about killing someone, whether it's the guy who destroyed your life or yourself. If it's what's on your mind, you should speak it. What is ALSO important is to explain what holds you back from acting on it.

So if the truth is (like for me) that you think about suicide every day, I think you should say so. But you also have to say what keeps you from following through. If you have obligations or beliefs that prevent suicide or homicide, you should tell the therapist that. How terrible, how at the bottom of the pit you feel is important for the therapist to be aware of. My therapist told me that when I tell her I want to die, but that I won't act on it, it relieves her from her obligation to have me restrained.

That's what I was trying to express in my post, that as long as you can tell them you have a reason not to follow through, they aren't going to lock you up. If you don't have a reason to not follow through, well, you should be put into in-patient care.

Jerrbilly, I would never, ever encourage anyone to be dishonest with their therapist. That's not therapy, that's playing games. It doesn't help the patient and it make it impossible for the therapist to do their job.

I hope that what I just typed makes sense... I'm never sure anymore. :(

Thanks to all who have replied. I actually did make my statements and it boiled down to what you have all said: 1- it is one thing to have the ideology but it is different to have the intent.

2- so, if I had plans or strong intentions and a target then they would have a legal obligation to intervene...

Whoa, can you believe that I'm writing this?

It is sad that this is what our veterens have to deal with after serving... but here we are. Lets get through it...

Thanks everyone.

• HadIt.com Elder

No one should kid themselves and use semantics. If you think about doing something most here will end up doing it unless they develop something to keep them safe.

Mine has always been simple I think of my family first and than I talk to someone.

Most don't even know that the majority of attempts end in failure and sometimes the consequences are much worse than before.

No one will admit it but I think that the biggest part of the VA suicide problem is the VA takes away hope