VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anexity Or Depression

Rate this question

81150 CAFB

Question

I am currently recovering post op from a lumbar fusion of my L4-L5 vertsbrae (~4 weeks). This surgery followed a diskectomy at the same level that didn't take. I am still in the process of gathering information to get service connected. My question is related to filing for either anexity/panic attacks or depression. About a year a half prior to my surguries I was diagnosed with panic attacks/anexity and prescribed lexapro, propananyl and clonazepam along with Xanax. The lexapro really started working and I haven't had any attacks for at least a year. Since my second surgery, which is still very painful, I have had around a dozen panic attacks with the trigger being my pain and lack of progress and thinking about the reality of my situation (might not get better). Even though I was diagnosed prior to my back surgeries can I claim panic/anexity as secondary to my back claim since it has definately gotten worse?

I am also suffering from some depression due to the pain and missing over 3 months of work so far among other issues. I am a little hesitant to file for depression for work reasons. I think that either issue would be rated at the 10% level as hopefully being managed with medication. I have an appointment tomorrow with my physchiatrist and I have already talked to her about my attacks and depression and she said she would up my meds to higher doses. I also understand that you can only claim one mental health issue.

I would, right now, rather file for panic/anexity. But would the previous diagnosis prior to my surguries negate any claim even though it has gotten worse.

Any help or comment would be appreciated.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Chronic pain disorder and depression are common to people who have back problems. If you have to take nacotic pain meds and are restricted in activities due to pain it is easy to become depressed. These things go hand-in-hand with any major disability. If you have major back pain you probably have sleep difficulties. This will also contribute to depression. You just have to have a doctor connect all these conditions to your service connected disability. You can't separate the mind and body. Physical illness affects the mind, and mental illness affects the body.

The medical community knows this even if the VA pretends it is not so to save a buck. With the VA it is always about money. Money before science. Money before the welfare of vets, and money before the spouses and dependents of vets.

• HadIt.com Elder
Got the doctor to opine that my condition is more likely than not related to my current back issues with a note saying that he reviewed my smr's and current med records. Said anexity/panic was exerbated by my condition.

Hope it will work.

As Berta has pointed out, you can connect your anxiety/depression/pain disorder (somatoform illnesses) to your chronic back disorder, but, that will not do you any good if you are not service connected for your back disorder. I see you are showing 0% disability in your avatar (or whatever you call it).

In other words, you may very well be missing the most important piece of the puzzle. You may want to drop back five yards and punt.

I am currently working on my claim and had surgery (discectomy) on my L4-L5 disk on the right side while in the Air Force. In August of 2009 I had a discectomy on the same disc but on the left side. After three months of being in pain after this surgery and being told that I was still in the three month pain window I had to deal with it. After the three months was up they performed a myleogram and saw that the L4-L5 disk had ruptured again (vindication!!!) and also noted an uneven healing fracture in my vertebrea(?). The private nuero then decided they should do a fusion at this level as a long term solution vs. a double discectomy. It has been about 5 weeks post-op and I am in terrible pain and continue to have sciatica issues. I am currently taking 7.5/325 vicodine. The anexity/panic attacks increased dramatically (did not have any for over a year) after little relief from the pain and limited motion/mobilty, being on short term disabilty, not being able to do anything, concern that this may be as good as it gets etc... The physchiatrist visit (previously every 3 months - no after appointment every month) just happened to be before my neuro appointment next week, so I talked to him and he agreed that my condition was "more likely then not" exaberated by what I am going through.

I did file an informal claim in September 2009 to get my start date and will file when I have all of my files/ records and statements. The physch doctor just happened to be first on the list. Once everything is collected I will file. I plan and assume/hope that my back will be service connected and then have the anexity/panic as secondary.

I hope the nexus would work as he said that it was more then likely related to my back problems that all started in 1989. Once they (VA) receive my application do they rate/connect the primary issue (back) and then work with the secondary issues of sciatica and panic/anexity.

All help is appreciated.

I am currently working on my claim and had surgery (discectomy) on my L4-L5 disk on the right side while in the Air Force. In August of 2009 I had a discectomy on the same disc but on the left side. After three months of being in pain after this surgery and being told that I was still in the three month pain window I had to deal with it. After the three months was up they performed a myleogram and saw that the L4-L5 disk had ruptured again (vindication!!!) and also noted an uneven healing fracture in my vertebrea(?). The private nuero then decided they should do a fusion at this level as a long term solution vs. a double discectomy. It has been about 5 weeks post-op and I am in terrible pain and continue to have sciatica issues. I am currently taking 7.5/325 vicodine. The anexity/panic attacks increased dramatically (did not have any for over a year) after little relief from the pain and limited motion/mobilty, being on short term disabilty, not being able to do anything, concern that this may be as good as it gets etc... The physchiatrist visit (previously every 3 months - no after appointment every month) just happened to be before my neuro appointment next week, so I talked to him and he agreed that my condition was "more likely then not" exaberated by what I am going through.

I did file an informal claim in September 2009 to get my start date and will file when I have all of my files/ records and statements. The physch doctor just happened to be first on the list. Once everything is collected I will file. I plan and assume/hope that my back will be service connected and then have the anexity/panic as secondary.

I hope the nexus would work as he said that it was more then likely related to my back problems that all started in 1989. Once they (VA) receive my application do they rate/connect the primary issue (back) and then work with the secondary issues of sciatica and panic/anexity.

All help is appreciated. I have plenty of time to have the doc rewrite the letter if need be.

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you file your claim for compensation within one year of discharge? That would make it easier. You have to get the back SC'ed first. Once you get that SC'ed then your secondary conditions will be considered. That is just how the VA works. Did you have any psychiatric problems in service? What kind of discharge did you get?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I read through this and the part where you said (vindication!!!) really got me. I know exactly how you feel, but I have not yet had surgery on L4 through S1. I think I would rather give birth to a dozen babies than ever feel ruptured disc pain ever again, and I'm a guy! Re-learning how to walk was painful and tough, but I did it. Regardless, I'm fighting the good fight to get SC for this. I really hope you get SC too!

I know some people who had the laminectomy, but only a couple told me that they actually feel better. Regardless, they all say the sciatica hurts bad.

Have they talked about doing a fusion?

Somewhat related, when my 3rd molars were extracted, I was in so much pain for so long, that I knew something was wrong. Nothing really showed up on the x-rays and, of course, my initial claim was denied. During my appeal, an arthragram was done, which proved that they screwed up. That was my (vindication!!!). I'm SC for this, but filed for an increase recently.

Don't forget about chronic pain, in addition to the anxiety/panic attacks, from the MH viewpoint! I'm also requesting SC for this. I understand the VA will grant SC for only one MH condition, but the most severe one counts as the %. In my case, I hurt all the time and eat blended food because I can't chew much. If I move my back the wrong way or lift incorrectly, there goes my back too! If I take pain meds or relaxers, the pain is less, but I can't function. So it's a no win situation, but I am not giving up!

Because you are not SC, you cannot have the VA pay you at 100% rate for being out of commission for 21+ straight days, because of the condition. However, after you get SC, I wonder if it might be possible to get this retroactively until you get back to work. Someone else here might know more about this than I do. It's just a thought, but might be possible.

Regarding the anxiety/panic attacks, have they given you any meds to help you overcome the attacks? Beware if your general doctor or a nurse practitioner tries to prescribe something. You'll probably need to visit with a psychiatrist for the best results. They know more about those meds than anyone and could possibly give you some genuine relief in that department.

Make sure your nexus/IMO is worded right and has the etiology too!

I am also curious if the secondary issues can be rated as secondary as the same time you ask for SC.

Hope you get to feeling better!