VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anexity Or Depression

Rate this question

81150 CAFB

Question

I am currently recovering post op from a lumbar fusion of my L4-L5 vertsbrae (~4 weeks). This surgery followed a diskectomy at the same level that didn't take. I am still in the process of gathering information to get service connected. My question is related to filing for either anexity/panic attacks or depression. About a year a half prior to my surguries I was diagnosed with panic attacks/anexity and prescribed lexapro, propananyl and clonazepam along with Xanax. The lexapro really started working and I haven't had any attacks for at least a year. Since my second surgery, which is still very painful, I have had around a dozen panic attacks with the trigger being my pain and lack of progress and thinking about the reality of my situation (might not get better). Even though I was diagnosed prior to my back surgeries can I claim panic/anexity as secondary to my back claim since it has definately gotten worse?

I am also suffering from some depression due to the pain and missing over 3 months of work so far among other issues. I am a little hesitant to file for depression for work reasons. I think that either issue would be rated at the 10% level as hopefully being managed with medication. I have an appointment tomorrow with my physchiatrist and I have already talked to her about my attacks and depression and she said she would up my meds to higher doses. I also understand that you can only claim one mental health issue.

I would, right now, rather file for panic/anexity. But would the previous diagnosis prior to my surguries negate any claim even though it has gotten worse.

Any help or comment would be appreciated.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

FYI - Saw physchiatrist today and got him to add depression to the letter. At this point I don't care any more about a label or dx for depression (my first concern many weeks ago). The truth is I have depression from my chronic pain and I can't ignore it.

"Major Depression (Major Depressive Disorder) is the one psychiatric condition that the VA appears to have the best understanding of, and it is usually the easiest to get service connected with the highest percentage of most all the other psych conditions."

Thanks LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder

If you claim chronic pain disorder, depression and/or anxiety due to your back problems all those claims make sense to me. I think you could get SC'ed for all and they all fall in the psychiatric category. Pain from a fusion seems pretty objective to me, but the VA insists in order to get rated for the pain it has to be a mental health claim. Any disability that puts significant limits on your acitivites could cause depression.