VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Called The Suicide Hotline Yesterday...

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I was bumping along the bottom yesterday afternoon. I'd asked my therapist and my psychiatrist about calling the hotline, because I was afraid that if I called, the men in white suits would be pounding on my door. They both assured me that it wouldn't happen.

So when I was feeling near the frizzy end of the rope, I gave in and called it. I'm glad to say that I'm still here and have not been carted off. The woman I spoke to was pretty supportive and made me feel better. She asked a lot of questions, but not my name. She offered to put in a consult for me, but when I hesitated, she just gave me the name of someone to call to help me find better treatment (she agreed that what I've been getting from the VA is inadequate... that by itself made me feel better).

So I just wanted to tell anyone here who has considered calling but was afraid to that they ought to give it a try. I know they got my phone number from the caller ID, but I really don't thing they want to send anyone to the funny farm unless it's a case of imminent harm.

I felt like I was able to call and just cry, and get some things off my chest, and relieve some tension. Knowing that I can do it again if I need to helps a lot.

Best wishes, everyone.

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete, Mea Culpa and sincere apologies for any mistatements made. Yes having access and being guided to lifesaving help when needed is very important. According to my doc if a person has experience with family, freind suicide or attempts - counseling and preventative training is recommended. My mh treatment plan has me attending a class this year.

Continuing prayers for your family.

Cowgirl

Being one who has attempted suicide I understand what Pete is saying. It's nice sometimes just to have someone to talk to when things bring you down. My father told me that;"Every cloud, no matter how dark it may be, has a silver lining and eventually it will shine through". It takes time but it will shine through...

Having those people out there to talk to really helps and I advise anyone who needs help to give them a call. If you can't get through, call a friend, family member, or sometimes a complete stranger can help. Yea, I've talked to strangers myself and just getting things out in the open can help.

Jeff

National Suicide Prevention Hot Line 1-800-273-8255

1-800-273-talk.

They are based near where I live at the Canadaigua VA and immediately refer any call from a veteran to someone who understands vets issues.

This is a phone number that every American family should have posted on their ice box or somewhere near a phone.

One never knows when a call like this is needs to be made.

One of the best things the VA ever did is to publish and mail out to many vets and their families about 2 years ago- a letter about recognizing the signs of suicidal tendencies.

It could be just a sudden odd unusual withdrawal from normal activities or by hearing a full blown statement from a family member that they are considering ending their life.

These symptoms of despair cannot be ignored.

Suicide is not the answer. Depression is the great deceiver and sometimes it looks like its a convenient way to end pain and suffering but I assure you that it only causes a lot more.

I know how hard it is on families I just buried my brother Mike on January 2nd who killed himself on Xamas Morning, It was a mistake and he left a lot of people grieving.

Whatever you think is wrong I promise you that if you can hang in for awhile things will change they always do.

I can sure sympathize with you pete53 My wife and I just buried her 54y father on the 10th. We just was with them for the Holly days and waited till we were gone back home...Yog

Edited by yoggie2

Suicide is not the answer. Depression is the great deceiver and sometimes it looks like its a convenient way to end pain and suffering but I assure you that it only causes a lot more.

I know how hard it is on families I just buried my brother Mike on January 2nd who killed himself on Xamas Morning, It was a mistake and he left a lot of people grieving.

Whatever you think is wrong I promise you that if you can hang in for awhile things will change they always do.

Pete, I'm so sorry about your brother. I wish I could make it better, turn back the closk a few weeks so maybe there would be a different direction in his story.

I know you're right about what suicide does to the folks left behind. It's the thing that keeps me here, hanging on. It's on the really dark days that it seems like I'd be doing them a favor and setting them free... those are the dangerous ones. But I keep telling myself to wait, to wait just one more day. Tomorrow is always tomorrow, right?

Ps: secretly, I liked the little chuckle about jerrbilly's avatar. He & cowgirl made me smile. That's a good thing, right?

I'm so grateful to all have found my way here...

no pun intended....a little light humor helps me but I guess it's not theuroputic for everyone.

Jerr

I think that there are more appropriate places to joke but not one that is discussing suicide and prevention of it.

If its a thread that is serious and critical please joke around somewhere else.