VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-file Requests

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In October, I requested a copy of my C-File from my RO. In November, I received a letter saying they are working on my request. Last Friday, I sent an IRIS request asking for a date when I will receive my C-File. It has been a week, but still no response at all. This is eating into my appeal time...

When I went to the RO in October, I talked with one of the guys there. He said, "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you can always contact your U.S. Congressman and they can speed things up."

Should I send another IRIS request?

Should I contact my U.S. Congressman?

What's the best recommended course of action?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Depending on how busy they are it can take up to 6 months. If you asked for a specific date on when you will have your file that is probably why they haven't responded because they can't put a specific date on it just like they couldn't give you a specific date on when your claim will be decided.

From my experience I don't think contacting your congressman will move it along any faster.

I would give it another month and half.

Jerr

In October, I requested a copy of my C-File from my RO. In November, I received a letter saying they are working on my request. Last Friday, I sent an IRIS request asking for a date when I will receive my C-File. It has been a week, but still no response at all. This is eating into my appeal time...

When I went to the RO in October, I talked with one of the guys there. He said, "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you can always contact your U.S. Congressman and they can speed things up."

Edited by jerrbilly

• HadIt.com Elder

I think I would send them an Iris about once every two weeks to see what progress is being made on your C-File request. I don't think I would call my congressman. It does no good and usually slows it down even more. Don't wait too long for the C-File if you are getting close to some appeal deadline. After you file an NOD it takes probably over a year to get a DRO hearing and a couple of years to get to the BVA. The NOD is the most important thing if you are appealing. No NOD within one year of the decision and you are dead.

I see it this way, I my self put in a request and it took 8 months to a year. It was after this time I wrote to my Congressman and I received it in 30 to 45 days of receipt later and a letter from my Congressman 3 days after my C-file arrived. Sometimes its better to go hard on the second try.. Good Luck My friend.....Yog

Screw-it, contact your congressman let them do their job. Maybe someone will get a slap on the hand. I am surprised by your IRIS, I have had very good results when I've sent them.

Bergie

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I am still within the one year period, but I don't want things to get down to the deadline. I have had good response from my Congressman in the past, so I will probably take that route.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice! :(

I am still within the one year period, but I don't want things to get down to the deadline. I have had good response from my Congressman in the past, so I will probably take that route.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice! :(

Another option you have if you don't want to write your NOD without a copy of the C-File is to ask for an extension of the NOD expiration date due to the delays in receiving a copy of your C-file. They will probably ignore the request or grant it then try to tell you that your time period to file has expired (tried to do that to me on an extension of dates for form 9). Just make sure you have in writing from the VA if they have extended the date (you will need it later!).

Last time I asked for a copy from my VARO it took about 63 days.

Best regards,

Tyler