VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is And How Does One Attain A Common Access Card

Yeah,

Can you clarify what a "common access card" is?

Bergie

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&7

Well, if one is 100% disabled, they receive a packet from the VA announcing the award.

Take your DD 214 and the contents of that packet that tells you of your award, they look at several

parts of the award, be sure to take what came in packet and your DD 214

Usually a military base has a CAC office, call before hand to check, you may have to make appointment.

make sure you call, usually if they have no CAC office they will give you the list of places that have a CAC office, get phone number and call.

this CAC will give you discounts at many places, like hotel/motel in Hawaii, on Oahu Fort Be Russey or how ever it is spelled, plus entrance and use of base facilities, subject to each command,,,, maybe....

Base exchange & commissary privileges

I have heard something about MAC flights but this is unclear.....

anyone know about the uses of the CAC hop in..

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&7

Well, if one is 100% disabled, they receive a packet from the VA announcing the award.

Take your DD 214 and the contents of that packet that tells you of your award, they look at several

parts of the award, be sure to take what came in packet and your DD 214

Usually a military base has a CAC office, call before hand to check, you may have to make appointment.

make sure you call, usually if they have no CAC office they will give you the list of places that have a CAC office, get phone number and call.

this CAC will give you discounts at many places, like hotel/motel in Hawaii, on Oahu Fort Be Russey or how ever it is spelled, plus entrance and use of base facilities, subject to each command,,,, maybe....

Base exchange & commissary privileges

I have heard something about MAC flights but this is unclear.....

anyone know about the uses of the CAC hop in..

As I said:

Well, I have what is COMMONLY referred to as an "Identification And Privilege Card", also referred to as "Tan Card" or "Brown Card", or the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) card and officially referred to as "DD Form 2765".

The common access card that you refer to is for use by military personnel, contractors, DOD employees to allow them access to the bases/areas that they need access to, and to allow them to access various computer/IT functions.

To get a DD form 2765, you must take a letter, issued by your VA Regional Office, to the "visitors shack" at most any military base. This letter MUST explain that you are considered 100%, or TDIU, and permanent & total.

The base personnel will then take your pic, ask you a couple of questions, and issue you your card. Take with you any family members (all family members can get a 2765). Also take with you any vehicle registrations AND proof of insurance and they will (different peeps but same visitors shack) issue you your windshield stickers for base access of a vehicle.

BTW, if you know all this stuff, why did you act as if you didn't?

And, no, this card does not allow you Space A travel.

Edited by LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder
Try this it is a long read but may be a bit of info for 100% Disabled Vets

http://www.uscg.mil/mlclant/iscstlouis/doc...%20Overview.pdf

Common sense says if this is the new ID cards they are issuing, they are still going to be coded so that 100% vets and their dependents will NOT be able to fly Space A and that they would be issued at the same office where the old tan cards have been issued no one has ever said anything when we show our ID cards at the base gate or commissary so they are still using the Tan Cards as ID

The common access card is for active duty military people, contractors & for people working for the dept. of defense only. Dependents do not even receive them. They are used mainly to access official govt. computers for official business. They are also coded as to how much info you can have access to. So a PFC can't access the same level as a MSG. They are also used in mess halls to scan so the meal is deducted from your pay check. That way you don't have to have cash to eat with. Another use is at the arms room when you are checking out your weapon or sensitive items you just run you cac card thru a scanner instead of the old way of having to sign paperwork to acknowledge receipt of the item. It is used for tracking a soldier & for accountablity. Remember the old days that if a large group of soldiers were getting on a plane to deploy or what, you had to line up by rank or the first letter of last name & someone with a clipboard would find your name & check it off. Now you just slide the card thru a hand scanner & it shows you got on the plane at such & such time. To be scanned the computer has to have a attactment that you can slide your card thru. Just like at the stores where you slide your visa or mastercard. When you slide it thru, all the required computers and users can tell where you are at & what you are doing. Lots of more uses have been brought into play now, such as using it on post to go the theaters, gym & even to getting on post at some locations. They have special entry lanes where you just drive up to the gate, run your card thru a slide scanner & it reconizes you for entry, no guard required. Reserve and national guard soldiers were scheduled to receive them serveral years ago, I don't know now if that is still on track. There was talk of giving them to military retirees, but that is serveal years down the road & may never happen because they are expense to set up the first time. I can't ever see a disabled vet receiving one because they will need eye to eye contact to enter a military place or building because of security. I am sure that a military retiree will be told when he can receive the cac if they ever decide to give them one. With the limited amount of things it could be used for, I don't ever see them getting one.

. I can't ever see a disabled vet receiving one because they will need eye to eye contact to enter a military place or building because of security. I am sure that a military retiree will be told when he can receive the CAC if they ever decide to give them one. With the limited amount of things it could be used for, I don't ever see them getting one.

********************************************************************************

Well, the tan colored CAC is available to veterans that have 100% VA disability. (follow directions on previous post)

for sure it allows access to military installation, Base Exchange, commissary, theater, bowling alleys and such... even

the Hotel On Oahu, Hawaii... Waikiki beach at government rates....... go figure, even best western recognizes the card, along with a few more....... If any one has a complete list of things, places, and such post it.

A buddy of mine just got his at the CAC walk up window at Fort Vancouver, WA took 15 minutes tops

• HadIt.com Elder
********************************************************************************

Well, the tan colored CAC is available to veterans that have 100% VA disability. (follow directions on previous post)

for sure it allows access to military installation, Base Exchange, commissary, theater, bowling alleys and such... even

the Hotel On Oahu, Hawaii... Waikiki beach at government rates....... go figure, even best western recognizes the card, along with a few more....... If any one has a complete list of things, places, and such post it.

A buddy of mine just got his at the CAC walk up window at Fort Vancouver, WA took 15 minutes tops

Fort Gordon just issued my sons last month we walked in at 1500 and were done and out at 1505 he was already in Deers and just needed his drivers license to prove he was Kevin Tan card DDForm 2765 it expires when he turns 23 or enlists which will most likely be any day now but he won't actually report to basic until June or July he hasn't told me yet.....

getting ID cards now is a lot easier than it was 40 years ago