VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is And How Does One Attain A Common Access Card

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm gonna try just one more time:

The CAC is a totally different card than the commonly referred to "Tan Card".

The "Tan Card" is for 100% Totally Disabled, Permanent and Total, disabled veterans. You MUST have a letter, specifically issued by your VA Regional Office (taking a bunch of VA paperwork, like your c-file, to the US Military won't do). This letter MUST indicate that your are permanent and totally disabled with no future examinations scheduled. It is also called a MWR Card (Morale, Welfare and Recreation). It allows you access to MOST military bases and PX's, BX's, recreational facilities, Navy Lodges, military temp housing (on a base by base situation, dependent upon the base commander's instructions), and, yes, facilities such as Fort DeBussy and several others on the Hawaiian Islands and base facilities all over the world. I am looking at my card as I am typing this and I assure you, the Tan Card is NOT the CAC. The Tan Card will NOT allow me access to DOD computer systems (on ANY level), nor will it allow me to access military construction sites (ANYWHERE), nor missile sites, nor, for example, the Pentagon, nor will it allow me to board military aircraft.

Again, the CAC and the Tan Card are NOT the same.

I give up.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The "Tan Card" is for 100% Totally Disabled, Permanent and Total, disabled veterans. You MUST have a letter, specifically issued by your VA Regional Office (taking a bunch of VA paperwork, like your c-file, to the US Military won't do). This letter MUST indicate that your are permanent and totally disabled with no future examinations scheduled. It is also called a MWR Card (Morale, Welfare and Recreation). It allows you access to MOST military bases and PX's, BX's, recreational facilities, Navy Lodges, military temp housing (on a base by base situation, dependent upon the base commander's instructions), and, yes, facilities such as Fort DeBussy and several others on the Hawaiian Islands and base facilities all over the world. I am looking at my card as I am typing this and I assure you, the Tan Card is NOT the CAC. The Tan Card will NOT allow me access to DOD computer systems (on ANY level), nor will it allow me to access military construction sites (ANYWHERE), nor missile sites, nor, for example, the Pentagon, nor will it allow me to board military aircraft.

I give up.

DDForm 2765 is the tan card mine is indefinate as the disabled vet my wifes tan card expires every 4 years kids can keep them until age 23

and like another poster stated up thread CAC cards are to expensive and most retirees and dependents may never see them.......

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm fairly sure one not need be "P&T" to get the tan card. It just has an expiration date, the same year as your next scheduled exam.

pr

I give up.

• HadIt.com Elder
I'm fairly sure one not need be "P&T" to get the tan card. It just has an expiration date, the same year as your next scheduled exam.

pr

post-1306-1263683480_thumb.jpg

Well, actually, you do. Else why would they go to the extent to state that the veteran is "not scheduled for future examinations". The reasoning behind requiring that you be permanent and total and NOT scheduled for future examinations is the simple fact that, if you were scheduled for future examination, and were examined and deemed NO LONGER permanent and total, then they would have veterans running around out there that no longer met the requirements for the MWR card. right?

Oh, and by-the-way, I'm looking at mine, and it does not have an "expiration date". Where it says "expires" it says "INDEF".

Edited by LarryJ

• HadIt.com Elder

Mine has no expiration, either, but I'm P&T. I believe, that if I were scheduled for a future exam on 5/15/13, my card would expire about 6 months after the scheduled exam. If my 100% was continued I could get a new card issued. I recall reading it in m-21 or somewhere like that. just saying . . .

pr

Well, actually, you do. Else why would they go to the extent to state that the veteran is "not scheduled for future examinations". The reasoning behind requiring that you be permanent and total and NOT scheduled for future examinations is the simple fact that, if you were scheduled for future examination, and were examined and deemed NO LONGER permanent and total, then they would have veterans running around out there that no longer met the requirements for the MWR card. right?

Oh, and by-the-way, I'm looking at mine, and it does not have an "expiration date".

• HadIt.com Elder
Mine has no expiration, either, but I'm P&T. I believe, that if I were scheduled for a future exam on 5/15/13, my card would expire about 6 months after the scheduled exam. If my 100% was continued I could get a new card issued. I recall reading it in m-21 or somewhere like that. just saying . . .

pr

post-1306-1263684005_thumb.jpg

If your card does not have an expiration date, and if you were scheduled for a future exam on, say, 5/15/13, then why would you have to get a new card issued, after all, it has no expiration date, correct?

The requirements to receive a tan card are that you be 100% with "no future exams scheduled". This is to keep people that may be examined "in the future", and may be, at that time, deemed, say, 70%, a reduction from the required 100%, from being in possession of a MWR card that they were no longer qualified, by reason of reduction, to be in possession of.