VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peripheral Vascular Artery Disease

Rate this question

Cavtrooper088

Question

In my initial VA C&P it states that "we have granted service connection for bilateral peripheral vascular disease secondary to your DMII (SC 20%). During the VA exam you complained of claudication, which you described as a sharp pain in your calf. The excerise was consistent with mild arterial disease bilaterally".

It then states "VA regulations consider noncompensable complications to be a part of the diabetic process and included in the evaluation assigned for diabetes; therefore bilateral peripheral vascular discases do not warrant separate evalulations. In the event these conditions worsen, you should notify our office."

My question is this: Is peripheral vascular disease a separate condition from DMII? My legs are really bothering me now.

Cav

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

In my initial VA C&P it states that "we have granted service connection for bilateral peripheral vascular disease secondary to your DMII (SC 20%). During the VA exam you complained of claudication, which you described as a sharp pain in your calf. The excerise was consistent with mild arterial disease bilaterally".

It then states "VA regulations consider noncompensable complications to be a part of the diabetic process and included in the evaluation assigned for diabetes; therefore bilateral peripheral vascular discases do not warrant separate evalulations. In the event these conditions worsen, you should notify our office."

My question is this: Is peripheral vascular disease a separate condition from DMII? My legs are really bothering me now.

Cav

Cav,

Yes, I believe PVD is rated seperately and is a secondary condition related to DM. Just as neuropathy is a secondary condition of DM.

I recommend you talk to your doctor and get referal for vascular. They can do tests to determine the extent of the damage and in doing so provide documented evidence (Nexus) for your claim.

Bergie

Edited by *Bergie*

• HadIt.com Elder

You should get your legs checked by a vasucular surgeon. You should probably get a CT scan of your legs as well. If you have blockages in your legs you may have them in your heart and brain as well. I have DMII. I had a CT scan done on my leg and they found artery disease. You have to really watch this kind of thing because if you have poor circulation in your legs it can lead to amputations for those with DMII. I am betting you can get at leasat 10% per leg for this condition and maybe a diagnosis of CAD. When you have those warning signs of trouble with the legs I would try and get the VA to do an echocardiogram on me. That is what I did. The VA does a very poor job of following up on these things. You have to push you PCP. If they won't do it get it done by a private vascular surgeon. They have a pretty simple of way testing to see your blood flow to your legs.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have had PAD since I was 34, it took a long time for the docs to figure out my complaints as they were looking in the wrong place.

This is nothing to fool with, I have had the stents and rotor rooter done 7 times, and number 8 is coming the 22nd.

I get screened every 6 months, and will call the doc ASAP if I feel a change. I have been lucky to find one exellent doc, he has made alot of headway in treating this, and I have gotten used to the minor cath lab procedures.

Find yourself a very good doctor, and keep a close monitor on it.

"

Cav"

I am wondering if this is causing you to have peripheral neuropathy as secondary to the DMII-which is ratable.

Did the VA add any legal citation for this statement:

"VA regulations consider noncompensable complications to be a part of the diabetic process and included in the evaluation assigned for diabetes;"

I am curious as I dont recall seeing that in any DMII regs- it does make sense-howevfer- but this is one good reason why a DMII vet should claim ALL possible copmplications of DMII and anything that could be caused by it as what is nopt ratable to a compensable level topday- might be years down the road and the secondary SC would be established already for a re-opened claim -if it gets worse at some point and raises to a compensable level.

Berta, JR, John, Bergie, Thanks for the great advice :rolleyes:

Berta-I am SC'd peripheral neuropathy(10%) for both L&R leg.

Cav