VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Don't Injuries From Reserve And National Guard Service Count?

Rate this question

chulai78

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry about that! I am new at posting on here! Its my first time actually! I was army national guard weekend warrior similar to you. No active duty. I got injured during drill and am currently rated %70 percent total from my training accident in the guard. If you have an injury going to or from drill and are treated then this can be filed as a service connected injury! Like any military injury it has to be documented during service. For example during that 2 week period you should complain and seek medical attention and it gets diagnosed and treated. This results in evidence and you can file a claim for the injury with VA! One difference between active duty and reserve I found out is. You can file a Va compensation claim and if you win it you can recieve the monetary award for that injury while serving in the reserves. You cannot do this on active duty or even active reserves. You have to leave active duty to file a claim. VA also does one other nasty thing when you drill they deduct your drill pay from VA compensation. Sucks huh!! If you get activated for active duty you must notify VA asap to prevent overpayment. They will suspend you benefits till you come off active duty for deployments! This is what I have learned on the reserves side over the years. Some of the VA people dont quite know this side of the military as much as active duty. I hope this helps!!

Thanks andref1976. I hope the VA will recognize they are responsible for injuries anytime they happen while on ACTUTRA or weekend drills. :huh: