VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trauma Recovery Program (trp)

Rate this question

Fire Courage

Question

I have an appointment for TRP on February 1, 2010. I know its necessary, but I'm not looking forward to bringing up all these feelings again. It makes me feel like crap the rest of the day. Has anyone had one of these appointments? What can I expect?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I've not heard of a specific program titled "Trauma Recovery Program".

It sounds like one of the PTSD modalities of treatment, like CPT,

Grounding techniques, Living in the moment, etc...

carlie

Hi,

Are you talking about an in-patient program?

• HadIt.com Elder
No, its not inpatient. It sounds like the same thing Carlie mention, but with a different name.

I been though the Trauma Recovery Program and it was better than I thought it would be. It did help with my anxiety attacks. I believe that during your first visit the doctor will plan a specific path with you. For me, it consisted of a weekly group meetings for about three months. I was not there for PTSD, so your groups would be different. Several vets in my group also participated in other groups focusing on PTSD. So, you may have more than one group to be in.

I been though the Trauma Recovery Program and it was better than I thought it would be. It did help with my anxiety attacks. I believe that during your first visit the doctor will plan a specific path with you. For me, it consisted of a weekly group meetings for about three months. I was not there for PTSD, so your groups would be different. Several vets in my group also participated in other groups focusing on PTSD. So, you may have more than one group to be in.

I'm just now seeing this response. Thanks Poolguy. I believe you're right about them planning a specific path on the first visit. I had this appointment today. The doctor had about 2 pages of questions to ask concerning my stressor and my feelings. My head hurts after all that talking about crappy stuff. Hopefully it will help them to better medicate me.

He thinks they may have to increase my dosage ....again.

I am going to the Trauma Recovery Program in Jackson Mississippi in a couple of weeks. It starts on the 12th, I believe.
This is what I know so far:
At night, the patient will stay at the "Harbor House" http://www.hhjackson.org/You will every weekend off except for the first one. At Christmas, they said they would let me come home for 96 hours.

Before you start your TRP, you will undergo a physical. Mine is dated for Dec 4 which is 10 days before I report in.

During the day, the patient will go to the VA hospital and undergo some sort of residual training. I.E. How to handle stress. How to quit Smoking. etc…

When I get back, I will come back on here and write in detail about what happened, (If I can remember).

I really want to know more about what I am getting myself into, so if you have info, please share.

--
I was in the USMC for 6 years back 92-98. Since then I have been in the Army National Guard. Been Deployed a time or two.