VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trauma Recovery Program (trp)

Rate this question

Fire Courage

Question

I have an appointment for TRP on February 1, 2010. I know its necessary, but I'm not looking forward to bringing up all these feelings again. It makes me feel like crap the rest of the day. Has anyone had one of these appointments? What can I expect?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I got finished with the course. It was well worth going to.

1. if you are service connected with PTSD, then when you come to this program, they will pay you a temporary 100%. I don't know how long it will take to go through the system, but I am waiting on it now.

2. While in the Program, you walk over to your regional building and get paperwork issues sorted out.

3. Talk to other Veterans that have similiar issues as yourself. This was the most beneficial to me, because sometimes I think I am crazy when I have nightmares.

4. You get a better understanding of how the VA works.

We had about 12 guys in our class. Some classes have females. About 6 of us were from the current war. the other 6 were Vietnam Vets.

I met some really interesting guys. Some were Army Special Forces, Ranger, Cooks, Supply. Even had an Air Force Guy and couple of old Navy Vets. It is pretty diverse of who shows up.

I thought there was going to be a couple of fights. intermingled with us, were drug rehab Vets. Some of them were really Cranky since they were off their street meds..

After getting your certificate of completion, you take it to the Veterans Administrative Building and give them a copy. Put a claim in for temp 100 percent (if PTSD service connect), and also, you can ask for an increase in your rating since you were hospitalized. That was something I didn't know about until I got done. I put in for it, not sure if I will get anything.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about TRP, please ask me while it is fresh on my mind.. It will not be there for long.. :)

• HadIt.com Elder

I would think that something like this would be useful for vets who are just leaving the service with a DX of PTSD. If a guy/gal has had PTSD for 20 years it might be less useful because a lot of the damage is already done. If PTSD has run it course of failed marriage, alcoholism/drug abuse, years of poor work history and alienation from family and society then it may be a little late, but never too late to get help.

John, you are right about getting help soon as possible.

But I truly think the Vietnam Vets got some out of the classes too.

If not for anything else, you get to talk to other Vets.

It would be nice to have group meetings during the week. I have heard that the militaryOneSource does a weekly meeting in my area. I am going to try to go to one of the meetings soon. I wish it were at night instead of the middle of the day.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=25252

There are some of these TRPs specifically for female veterans too.