VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is Your Take On This?

Rate this question

pilgrim01

Question

I initially filed after retiring in Nov 2008. I received 40% and they denied a "numbness/tingling" claim that I had submitted, one reason was no diagnosis. Three months after retiring I had another episode. My new doctor immediately took X-rays and MRIs. Disc protrusion, nerve root damage, foraminal stenosis, multi-level lumbar conditions, etc was found. This all happended while my initial claim was still being worked at the VA. As soon as I got the denial back (March 2009) about the numbness tingling, I filed a RECONSIDERATION (April 2009). My new doctor wrote a note to the VA that I submitted with my RECONSIDERATION saying that this was "consistent with the numbenss/tingling I have been having since July 2006". Well, the RECONSIDERATION had made it all the way to the Rating Team and they decided to give me another C&P for my back. During the exam, the doctor did a lot of writing. She once asked me after doing the leg strength test if I was right or left handed (because due to this numbness/tingling my left leg is now stronger than my right and I am right handed). Once I told her right handed, she did the test again, then wrote some more notes. I have been on Celebrex and Neurontin for about a year. I was also referred to Physical Therapy which didn't help. I have put off the pain injections for the time being as I am very afraid of needles going into my back. What is your take on my chances? I know the VA is very unpredictable but this waiting is wearing my out.

Edited by pilgrim01

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I agree. Take the negative comments like a grain of salt. If you're focused and know what the VA requires to grant your claim you will most likely succeed.

It's not all fabrication like some say.

jerr

Dont think too negative about it. The VA does get it right. We have some folks who are extremely paranoid and frankly speaking they are starting to get on my nerves. We have to have faith in the system or we all will be lost. I know there has been a lot of negatives but there are also some posatives.

I know a lot of members who have not had a problem with the VA as their claim as the VA did what they were supposed to do. On a side note there is good and bad in everyone and some folks dwell on the bad so anything is possible.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

I am thankful to the VA, I really am. My only problem with the VA is the convoluted process you have to go through to FINALLY bring your claims to a conclusion.

Once there, everything is good.

I just wish that they had advocates that actually worked FOR the VA. Employees, if you will, that could sit down with the veteran and actually HELP the veteran fill out his/her claim and counsel the veteran in what evidence, what medical reports, which service records, were needed, BEFORE hand, BEFORE we have wasted 3 years, 5 years, waiting for what winds up being a denial, due to not enough evidence, no buddy statements, lack of medical records, etc., etc.

Wouldn't it be a LOT better, FOR EVERYBODY, the vet and the veterans affairs, department thereof, if we could just START OUT right?

Scan into the VA computer system the veteran's ENTIRE service record including medical records, entrance physicals, discharge physicals, everything. This IS the age of computers, has been for the last THIRTY YEARS. WHY am I having to MAIL stuff off to various governmental agencys, why am I waiting for records from the VA, the NPRC NARA, the Dept of the Navy? WHY? This stuff should have been digitized 10-15 years ago and everything SINCE then should have ORIGINATED as digitized information.

I just spent HOURS digging through ONE ship's logs, a ship's log that was just a few years old, and should have been logged in with a KEYBOARD, instead of with 18 different pens and pencils with 32 different handwriting styles (or lack thereof). What took me the better part of two days should have been carried out with the simple typing of a "search term" and the hitting of the "enter" key.

But, that makes WAY TO MUCH SENSE!

Okay, rant is over, everybody stick their respective heads back in the silica!

They do. It's called DAV. :D

I just wish that they had advocates that actually worked FOR the VA. Employees, if you will, that could sit down with the veteran and actually HELP the veteran fill out his/her claim and counsel the veteran in what evidence, what medical reports, which service records, were needed

• HadIt.com Elder
Larry,

Did I hear anything about job security and keeping

the machine growing.

carlie

I don't mind the job, MOF I enjoy the "helping" part, but the PAY IS LOSY!

And, the machine is lubed by the tears and the blood of way too many veterans!

I feel like a small candle, at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

Peace, carlie. Peace.