VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Small Pension Derail Me?

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

I'm 80%; 70% PTSD and then diabetis and my original battle wound. They are leaning on me more and more at work as I come up short in my performance. I don't know how much longer I can make it. I and too old for post office disability, but have a minor child and a son in college ($).

I will never get SS, but I will get pension (that's too small to live on given my huge debt from my inability to manage my life smartly).

My main question is:

Is a pension that is greater than the ammount you are able to earn under TDIU a deal breaker? OR doesn't it count as employement income?

When they or I decide I can't do the work anymore I have a period of sick leave where I won't be working hence qualify as "not working" before I get the pension.

I am not trying to hoard money, my life is a disaster and work is becoming impossible.... but I can't just quit.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You can get TDIU after you have retired from work. Age is not a factor, nor the fact that you have retired. It is based on your ability to gain/sustain employment.

Thank you, that is good important news. Since no one else posted I guess it's agreed with by other experts here too.

I am going to DAV to discuss with them to get their help, hope they agree too.

I still didn't tell them at work what is wrong with me. My boss asked me this morning and I am so hesitant to say anything. They want me to go to a big convention. I said I don't want to go for personal reasons (you know, I can't stand the crowd). Boss wants to know what is wrong, and wants to know why I am not doing well in general at work. He sees I go to appointments a lot (va help). Said he needs some answers Asking in a nice way for now but he is treating me as if I am less than he wants or needs.

Thank you, that is good important news. Since no one else posted I guess it's agreed with by other experts here too.

I am going to DAV to discuss with them to get their help, hope they agree too.

I still didn't tell them at work what is wrong with me. My boss asked me this morning and I am so hesitant to say anything. They want me to go to a big convention. I said I don't want to go for personal reasons (you know, I can't stand the crowd). Boss wants to know what is wrong, and wants to know why I am not doing well in general at work. He sees I go to appointments a lot (va help). Said he needs some answers Asking in a nice way for now but he is treating me as if I am less than he wants or needs.

Spent,

Why not come clean with your boss and let them know that

your SC'd disabilities are presenting problems for you.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
Spent,

Why not come clean with your boss and let them know that

your SC'd disabilities are presenting problems for you.

jmho,

carlie

I agree with carlie. Let them KNOW what is wrong. Many people, once you let them know that you are a veteran and you are struggling, for many people, bosses and supervisors included, take personal pride in being able to help a vet.

At least, I always did.

Tell them that you are working very hard to reach their expectations and to reach a resolution to your work performance (you just don't need to tell them that "your resolution to your problem" is to get the heck outta there! At least, don't YET tell them that you have "retirement plans"!

Spent,

I was a manager in the PO for a long time and I got out last year because I couldn't do it any longer. I had a lot of vets that worked for me that used the VA as their primary doctors. I never questioned them on their appointments and I would offer them an FMLA packet that would cover all their sick leave usage. You can put in FMLA for any bullshit ailment but the mental issues get a little complicated because if you put down stress, they may want you to get clearance from your doctor to return to work.

You should simply tell that jerk off boss of yours that you are a disabled vet and thats it. Your medical information is none of his business. Keep your future plans to yourself and when its time to go just walk out the door. It take about 2 months to process all your retirement paperwork.

Good luck

BILL