VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva Benefits

Rate this question

mrsvet28

Question

Hi all

Sent for CHAMPVA benefits and they sent a letter saying I need OHI - I never had insurance /years ago I was on medicaid and then they took it away because we were $20 over the income limit when they increased SS benefits-go figure!!!

Do I have to have insurance first-and can I get healthcare at the VA?

Thanks MrsVet

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

if you receive SSA retirement after turning 65 -as I understand CHAMPVA- they require that you have Medicare Part A and Part B in order to retain or attain CHAMPVA eligibility.They (VA) cannot treat you at that point but you can get Doctor and Hospital of your choice.

Up to age 65 (and going onto Medicare) the VAMC will treat you as a CHAMPVA eligible person up to that point.

The CHAMPVA Booklet which the CHAMPVA should have sent to you with any CHAMPVA award-explains the requirements for eligibility for this program as to the Medicare requirement.

Also the CHAMP VA web site might help answer your questions.

They become second payer and I hope you can apply for Medicare (Part A and Part :)_ and then re-establish your eligibility as this is a wonderful program.I didn't know how good it was until I began to use it.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I would get the doctors to accept assignment of my ChampVA. Their is very cheap supplemental insurance out there for ChampVA. You want a doctor who will accept assignment for all your insurance. My wife's doctors and the hospital accepted assignment for ChampVA because it is secondary. We did not spend a penny out of pocket and she was in the hospital for a week. I my family plan for BC keeps going up I will drop it and get the supplement that Larry speaks of and save some money. I like the BC because I never get any static about doctors taking it on assignment.I have medicare and Blue Cross and I don't pay a dime except in premiums.

I have ChampVA too. I don't have OHI either.

You don't HAVE to have OHI. They just ask if you have it.

If you don't just call them on the 800 number and tell them that. It just means you will have a co-pay of 25% on care and meds.

Or you can get a supplement that pays after ChampVA does.

like this one: http://www.champvaus.com/