VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Temp 100% Convalescent Pay After A Surgery

Rate this question

foleyj

Question

I submitted a claim for convalescent pay after spine surgery and the doctor put that I would be out for 3 months. I just received that payment, but it is a lower amount then I was told. I am rated at 60% with a spouse and one child. The 100% rate would be 2932.00. If I am doing the math correctly 2932.00-1129.00=1803.00. The difference is 1803.00 and that should be the amount that I should have gotten for the 3 months for a total of 5409.00. The payment that I received was 4335.00. Is this the way the VA calculates this, or is there a different rate table for this type of situation?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am currently rated @ 0% and have been since I first received my rating in 1994. I have tried to appeal the rating the same year but lost interest due to deciding to try and work and raise my son. In 2013 I was told that I would have to get knee surgey and again restarted my claim to increase my rating. I did have the surgery in Dec 2013 and was surprised that I received a check for  my time that I was out of work which I was suppose to be out for 4 months but went back early due to a good job opportunity. It is now 2016 and I again have to get surgery on the same knee and since I already know I will get 100% while I am convalescing I was wondering if it gets paid monthly or is it paid at the end of the period I will be out. Since I do not receive any monetary amount due to my 0% rating would I receive the full amount for the time I am out of work as stated by my doctor.  

21 minutes ago, Gayren67 said:

I am currently rated @ 0% and have been since I first received my rating in 1994. I have tried to appeal the rating the same year but lost interest due to deciding to try and work and raise my son. In 2013 I was told that I would have to get knee surgey and again restarted my claim to increase my rating. I did have the surgery in Dec 2013 and was surprised that I received a check for  my time that I was out of work which I was suppose to be out for 4 months but went back early due to a good job opportunity. It is now 2016 and I again have to get surgery on the same knee and since I already know I will get 100% while I am convalescing I was wondering if it gets paid monthly or is it paid at the end of the period I will be out. Since I do not receive any monetary amount due to my 0% rating would I receive the full amount for the time I am out of work as stated by my doctor.  

Gayren67;

You might want to start a new thread - this one is over 5 years old....

It is because you have to wait past 30 days.  You do not get the 100 percent temporary rating till you have completed the first 30 days of recovery, then you are eligiblenjoying for the 100 percent rating.  Same issue I dealt with my first back surgery in 2004. Second surgery will be in 30 days.

• HadIt.com Elder

It should be t he 100 percent rate minus your current amount times 3.

You may be correct, Call them up and ask them to re figure it.

J

I get the 60% vet with 1 wife, 1 child at 1129 per month -

100% vet,wife ,child 2932 per month

2932 less 1129 (what they should have paid you for those 3 months already-as your regular 60%) = 1803.

1803 times 3 months is 5409-

YES I think you are correct too-the difference soesnt make sense

I have had some errors on VA checks in the past-some a few hundred bucks and one was almost 40 thousand bucks.

If I were you I would write to them ASAP and state to them (keep copy, send priority or certified)that they have made a clearly erroneous mathematical error to your detriment in their decision or award letter dated xx xx xxxx and I always send them my calculations.Best to do that too.

They have always responded fairly swiftly and sent the cash soon too.

Except for my most recent ordeal and I went way over their heads on it.

They can fix this easily in your case . It shouldn't take long.

(Then again-Chapter 35 had started to refund my tuition-and sent me a check sometime ago and also the form AMU needed to fill out for audit of my additional tuition. A simple task. Yesterday I learned from AMU that VA has only recently released proof of my eligibility for this-the award letter is dated April 29th,and there are 2 more award letters as well.

They (VA) apparently stopped the Chapter 35 VA people from properly processing my award.

They also have held up my REPS for months.

I asked the school to state to me exactly what VA did with my VA forms.

Perhaps this was in fact an error at AMU finance office.

But I am collecting documentations on all this in case I have opportunity to give testimony again to the H VAC.

If they are treating me,as widow of a vet who died due to direct service connection,this arbitrary and capricious way- how the heck are they treating the widows and widowers of OIF OEF veterans who died in service?)

You have a simple error they should be able to fix right away.

Maybe. I have waited 9 months for them to fix a major and obvious retro error in my award.Still waiting.

Edited by Berta