VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus Secondary To Tmj

Rate this question

Vync

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I have seen a bunch of conversations about tinnitus lately, but was curious if anyone has had any luck getting tinnitus SC as secondary to TMJ.

The military yanked my 3rd molars and now I am SC for TMJ. In December, I had a really bad time with my TMJ. The VA oral surgeon treated me and my records indicate bilateral TMJ exacerbation. Since this occurred, I hear this constant high-pitched in both ears. When there is not a lot of background noise, it is significantly pronounced.

Should I go back and see my VA oral surgeon or an audiologist?

Any thoughts?

Is there anything that can be done to get rid of the ringing sound?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

How did this go? same questions, currently getting 10% for tmj. I have a lot of ringing in my ears now and would like to file Tinnitus secondary to TMJ. I just dont have any current medical records of being seen for tinnitus .

I have seen a bunch of conversations about tinnitus lately, but was curious if anyone has had any luck getting tinnitus SC as secondary to TMJ.

The military yanked my 3rd molars and now I am SC for TMJ. In December, I had a really bad time with my TMJ. The VA oral surgeon treated me and my records indicate bilateral TMJ exacerbation. Since this occurred, I hear this constant high-pitched in both ears. When there is not a lot of background noise, it is significantly pronounced.

Should I go back and see my VA oral surgeon or an audiologist?

Any thoughts?

Is there anything that can be done to get rid of the ringing sound?

Vync,

I would discuss the new issue of Tinnitus with my VA oral surgeon

and see if they would enter into the computer system

a referral for Audiology.

The Audiologist would be the one to diagnose the Tinnitus

and provide a nexus as to whether your Tinnitus is

definitely or at least as likely as not, a residual disability

directly related to your SC'd TMJ on a secondary basis.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

You know when the oral surgeons do heavy work in your jaw there is a possibility of nerve damage. I don't know if the auditory nerve could be injured during such surgery. The constant popping from TMJ could give you some sort of noise in your hear. I remember the military took out my wisdom tooth and a molar and made a complete mess of it. They turned my jaw into hamburger. The worst experience I ever had with a dentist and I have had a lot. It bleed for days. I had TMJ in service but they made sure that they did not DX it.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Carlie,

That's a great idea. I have a dental appointment next week, so I will look into it.

John999,

The popping/grinding sounds no longer occur, because I simply cannot open my mouth wide enough any more.

I have read some articles which indicate that a lot of seemingly unrelated things can occur if you have TMJ. TMJ is located very close to the inner ear, so it seemed logical to assume that my TMJ problems could be causing this ringing sound.

The military really screwed up my jaw. I looked like a hamster for a couple of weeks. They never DX'd my TMJ in service either.