VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Gaf Scores

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Here is something you guys might know something about. I have PTSD but it is not SC, However I am diagnosed with a GAF score of 55 with the VA Mental health Doc. He put down on my records that my current PTSD is not service connected but the fact that depression secondary to my SC back disability is affecting my non service connected PTSD. I have had a claim in for IU on account of the SC back disorder rated @10% and 1 other SC condition rated @60% along with 30% and a few 10% that adds up to 80%. With all of that said I have read where when a SC condition affects or agrivates a non SC condition the VA must evaluate all connected disabilities. I admit I am kind of worn out fighting the VA like all of you but I have been scheduled for Surgery on my back and I know that I will be rated for IU for the period of surgery and the time it takes me to heal. What I am wondering is there a claim here? I am just agrivated but you all know how that goes dealing with the same people. Have a good day..

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Why did your doc say your PTSD doesn't warrant service connection? just wondering. You can only get rated for one mental disorder so I'm not sure if your future intent is to get your PTSD as aggravated (secondary) from your depression.

Good luck on your IU claim. You definetely have just as good of shot as anyone being already 80%.

Here is something you guys might know something about. I have PTSD but it is not SC, However I am diagnosed with a GAF score of 55 with the VA Mental health Doc. He put down on my records that my current PTSD is not service connected but the fact that depression secondary to my SC back disability is affecting my non service connected PTSD. I have had a claim in for IU on account of the SC back disorder rated @10% and 1 other SC condition rated @60% along with 30% and a few 10% that adds up to 80%. With all of that said I have read where when a SC condition affects or agrivates a non SC condition the VA must evaluate all connected disabilities. I admit I am kind of worn out fighting the VA like all of you but I have been scheduled for Surgery on my back and I know that I will be rated for IU for the period of surgery and the time it takes me to heal. What I am wondering is there a claim here? I am just agrivated but you all know how that goes dealing with the same people. Have a good day..

Try this it may help.

§ 3.310 Disabilities that are proximately due to, or aggravated by, service-connected disease or injury.

(a) General.

Except as provided in §3.300©, disability which is proximately due to or the result of a service-connected disease or injury shall be service connected.

When service connection is thus established for a secondary condition, the secondary condition shall be considered a part of the original condition.

(:angry: Aggravation of nonservice-connected disabilities.

Any increase in severity of a nonservice-connected disease or injury that is proximately due to or the result of a service-connected disease or injury, and not due to the natural progress of the nonservice-connected disease, will be service connected.

However, VA will not concede that a nonservice-connected disease or injury was aggravated by a service-connected disease or injury unless the baseline level of severity of the nonservice-connected disease or injury is established by medical evidence created before the onset of aggravation or by the earliest medical evidence created at any time between the onset of aggravation and the receipt of medical evidence establishing the current level of severity of the nonservice-connected disease or injury.

The rating activity will determine the baseline and current levels of severity under the Schedule for Rating Disabilities (38 CFR part 4) and determine the extent of aggravation by deducting the baseline level of severity, as well as any increase in severity due to the natural progress of the disease, from the current level.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1110 and 1131)

© Cardiovascular disease. Ischemic heart disease or other cardiovascular disease developing in a veteran who has a service-connected amputation of one lower extremity at or above the knee or service-connected amputations of both lower extremities at or above the ankles, shall be held to be the proximate result of the service-connected amputation or amputations.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501, 1110–1131)

[44 FR 50340, Aug. 28, 1979, as amended at 66 FR 18198, Apr. 6, 2001; 71 FR 52747, Sept. 7, 2006]

EXAMPLE :

38 C.F.R.

§ 3.310 authorizes a grant of service connection not only for disability caused by a service-connected disability, but for the extent of additional disability resulting from aggravation of a non service-connected disability by a service-connected disability.

This should answer your question about secondary SC of non-SC conditions.

Bergie

Why did your doc say your PTSD doesn't warrant service connection? just wondering. You can only get rated for one mental disorder so I'm not sure if your future intent is to get your PTSD as aggravated (secondary) from your depression.

Good luck on your IU claim. You definetely have just as good of shot as anyone being already 80%.

Yes thanks even doing VA math I knew that my back being worse to where I could not get around without crutches and not being able to bend over at the waist hardly. I put in almost 3 years ago this coming fall was turned down once at the state level for IU and I asked for reconsideration showing the MRI results from 4 years ago and the one that I had done prior to submiting for IU had 3 more disc ruptured and the EMG test showed severe nerve damage in both legs. I had been being see through the VA for PTSD from a civ job and the depression from the change in my life not being able to dress or interact on the basic level had got to a point I had lost about 40lb and my nerves had gotten really bad again. I had hope the VA would look at my current condition but they cherry picked a few things and never even looked at my back or the increase in meds that leaves me with the option of taking the pain meds or putting them off until I can get back from the Doctors office until I can take any pain meds. Only good thing is I had my other case for bilaterial knees and hips remanded back down from the BVA to the state again to reopen the claim for them that has dragged on for 8 years.

My currnet claim is that my SC back condition has increased the depression and with my wife leaving me on account of the inability to get around and not be so dam ill all of the itme has been a kick in the head let me tell you. If you or anyothers have some insight let me know as I have given up on getting my local rep to help most of the stuff I send from his office reguarding my claim gets "lost" funny how that happens. Have a good day and thanks for the input.