VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cad And Ihd

Rate this question

Sgt Schmidt

Question

Greetings all,

Today I had a follow up visit with my cardiologist and asked him about CAD and IHD. He explained to me that they are medically different but both are considered as CAD. IHD is when the small vessels that carry oxygen and blood to your heart

muscle are blocked. The key word here is "SMALL". These vessels cannot be surgically corrected like the larger arteries can and the only treatment is medication, (Renexa) or possibly EECP (enhanced external counterpulsation ). The EECP treatment was first considered to be a sham by cardiologists but further studies over the years indicated that out of 100 people, 80 had good results after treatment. EECP treatment takes 5 days a week for up to 6 weeks.

I thought I'd post this here for those that needed more info about IHD.

Jeff

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Jeff, the NP that was at my C&P exam repeated, that he was sure of CAD...... for me, but seemed to hesitate to include

IHD as a diagnosis..... even thou..... MY Civilian doctors stated that I had IHD. Both of my Doctors are Doctors and with

actual qualifications to make the statements about IHD.

My claim is hanging by the thread of a NP with questions he could not answer

and the VA moves forward

Remember, beer & hat..... ABQ in August

s/f

van

post-6950-1265414178_thumb.jpg

Good point Sgt.

This is something that concerns me as an advocate and I cant wait until the VA posts the regs for public comment (if they ever do that)

"The key word here is "SMALL". These vessels cannot be surgically corrected like the larger arteries can"

Right- microvascular disease

I fear some AO vets with CAD might not be compensated for it unless it is due to DMII or they get an IMO doc to state they have IHD.

VA is slick-instead of saying CAD would be SCed to AO-they used IHD instead.Probably to try to save money.

Berta,

In reviewing over my medical records, I found that my Echocardiogram Reports, although diagnosed CAD and listed such words on the test report, did not list verbatim the word, "Ischemic, Ischemia," etc. However, I also had a " Stress Mycoardial Perfusion Imaging Report" also called a Nuclear Stress test performed, and it listed among the results, "Stress EKG: abnormal consistent with Ischemia." I also had a coronary by-pass to correct a blockage. All of this information has been submitted with my Agent-Orange claim, plus a letter from my cardiologist, specifically stating that he is treating me for Ischemic Heart Disease.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, especially since you bring up an interesting point on the possible wording of the pending regulation.

JRW-with proven exposure to AO I dont think you need to worry as this all covers IHD.

ECHO reports also show ejection fractions and narrowing of arteries-by Doppler measurments - which also means- in Most cases- ischemic heart disease.

I would think the VA will rate these AO IHD claims under the atherosclerosis rating schedule- ---still-hard to know without any proposed regulations yet.

JRW-with proven exposure to AO I dont think you need to worry as this all covers IHD.

ECHO reports also show ejection fractions and narrowing of arteries-by Doppler measurments - which also means- in Most cases- ischemic heart disease.

I would think the VA will rate these AO IHD claims under the atherosclerosis rating schedule- ---still-hard to know without any proposed regulations yet.

I had no heart problems till 98, had a MI, had a stent inplanted to open a 90% blockage.

I filled for IHD the last day of Nov. 09 and now told to report the 26 th of this month for C&P

My hand carried med. report from my last Cardiolagist dated 05 states cardiac history of IHD, stenting, MI, and three- vessel c.o.d with a e.f of 45-50% I will keep you posted -good luck to all!