VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nehmer Retroactive Date?

Rate this question

THOMAS89031

Question

ANYONE KNOW WHAT DATE IS USED FOR RETROACTIVE PURPOSES?

SUCH AS: IN COUNTRY DATES; DATE OF DISCHARGE, OR DATE OF NEHMER DECISION

THANKS

THOMAS89031

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

This is an old post and I regret I missed it-

in this post there is link to NVLSP and the explanation of Nehmer and the EEDS for AO claims.

• HadIt.com Elder

If a Vietnam vet died of IHD what would the effective date be for a spouse filing now for the first time for DIC?

There must be a large number of vets who have died from heart disease in the last 40 odd years. Their spouses got nothing if they were not already SC'ed 100% for ten years or died from other SC condition.

Two weeks ago the VA contacted me and told me that my records were in Muskogee Oklahoma because I was included in the Nehmer Group. I asked them what date would the VA use to determine a retro date according to Nehmer. I had flied a claim for Ischemic Heart Disease on November 8, 2005. I recieved a VA letter denying my claim on May 6, 2006. I was told that my effective date would definitely be the DATE I FILED, NOT THE DATE I WAS DENIED so my claim would surely be going back to November 8, 2005. I called back a little latter and they confirmed to me again that the date WOULD BE November 8, 2005. If you records are at the Nehmer Group in Muskogee OK, you are being considered for retro according to Nehmer. Based on this, Nehmer does apply to all who have had a claim for one of the "New Presumptive" denied in the past. I hope this information to my fellow Vietnam Veterans.

If a Vietnam vet died of IHD what would the effective date be for a spouse filing now for the first time for DIC?

There must be a large number of vets who have died from heart disease in the last 40 odd years. Their spouses got nothing if they were not already SC'ed 100% for ten years or died from other SC condition.

From VA's Nehmer Training Guide

The effective date for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation(DIC) claims must be one of the following dates:

·      The date VA received the claim, or

·      The first day of the month of the Veteran’sdeath, if filed within one year from the date of the Veteran’s death

NOTE:  If the class member’s claim for DIC for thedeath was either pending before VA on May 3, 1989, or was received by VAbetween that date and the effective date of the statute or regulationestablishing a presumption of service connection for the covered herbicidedisease that caused death, the effective date of the award will be the later ofthe date such claim was received by VA or the death occurred (38 C.F.R. §3.816(d)(2)). 

NOTE: 38 U.S.C. § 5110(g) and 38 C.F.R. § 3.114(a) do not apply to Nehmerclaims.

• HadIt.com Elder

So if the vet died 20 years ago from IHD the widow only gets paid from the time she files the claim. You know this is basically unfair. The VA and the government know the vet died from AO exposure. If the widow never filed she would not get a dime. This should be automatic back to the day of death from service connected cause. This is the VA playing a dirty game with spouses which is called "how do we legally screw this spouse of a "fallen hero" out of DIC. The country holds the dead vet up as a hero on the one hand and screws the spouse on the other. This is just like all AO claims since the government knows darn well the exposure caused the disease. The AO was a ticking time bomb inside the vet but you only get compensated when the bomb explodes. Same with PTSD and all the rest of delayed action disease bombs caused by war. Did the vet not have PTSD until he filed for it? I know the law, but it is unfair and a disgrace to those who sacrifice. There is the law and there is justice. They are at opposite ends of the universe.