VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Affect Does Voc Rehab Have On Tdiu Claim

Rate this question

ollieee6

Question

Greetings,

I hope that someone can offer me some type of advice. I have a service-connected disability rating of 10% (PTSD)(2007), which is grossly underated. Against advice from a local vet rep because she said I would surely be denied, I applied for Ch. 31, Voc Rehab. in 2009, I was found to be entitled to Voc Rehab, the counselor that assessed me, was very distraught at the fact that I was rated 10%.

While being assessed, she made extensive notes stating that I was unable to work due to my service connected disability, although rated at 10%, my condition presented a great barrier, and even though I was approved, I would require EXTENSIVE counseling and I may not even complete the program.

After reviewing guidelines, in order for a Veteran to be rated at 10% he must present MILD symptoms. Since being discharged in 2004, my symptoms have been severe, documented by doctors.

The Voc Rehab counselor told me to file for an increase IMMEDIATELY, which I did in March 2009. My claim is currently at the review board. I have done extensive research, reviewed medical records, and submitted solid evidence, with guidelines, and references which pertain to my case.

I recieve SSD, and have not worked since 2006. I know that there are certain requirements that must be met to qualify for TDIU, and currently my schedular rating is below. I also requested TDIU based on Extra Schedular considerations. I have a Medical Verification form, from the VA doctor stating that I am PERMANATELY unable to work due to my illness.

This is my first time applying for an increase. Do you think that the records from Voc Rehab will help my TDIU claim?

Thanks so much for the many responses.

I am terribly nervous at this point. Yes, I do attend school, because I would like to over-come my barrier and be a productive citizen. I have special accomidations for my classes because of my disability.

True, I was found entitled to Voc Rehab services and the counselor stated and documented, that I would require EXTRAORDINARY services over and above what would normally be provided to ANY Veteran in the Voc Rehab program in order to achieve successful rehabilitation and job placement, if at all possible.

I thought that TDIU, was awarded because the Veteran is not able to obtain substantial and gainful employment. Which thats what Voc Rehab states, which is why I was found entitled. I am unemployable at this time. Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability. I am using Voc rehab as a step to employment. Until i reach my goal. I AM UNEMPLOYABLE.

In my opinion what the Voc Rehab documents state, should be enough to warrant me TDIU. Because of my SC disability I am permantely unable to work. POINT BLANK. I don't know why they make things so difficult. At least I'm TRYING to better myself.

Ollie,

Just the fact that VOC REHAB has stated they have to provide,

"EXTRAORDINARY services over and above what would normally be provided to ANY Veteran in the Voc Rehab program", will work in your favor for an IU claim.

What is your 10 percent SC'd disability ?

When were you separated from active duty ?

carlie

Greetings:

I was seperated in 2004, with a diagnosis of Personality Disorder, which i was MISdiagnoised. In 2007 It was upgraded to Chronic PTSD, and still I was only rated 10%. At that time, I knew nothing of how to apply for an increase, or how to dispute the decision. If you cannot tell, I'm fairly young, and after a few years of research and road blocks, I just now have found resources provided to Veterans to better myself. I was grossly underated and the rating decision made me feel so worthless. After researching and putting the research with my case and doctors notes, I felt horrified, and betrayed by the VA. If they had followed the guidelings, My rating should have been at the least 70% when I had my C&P in 2007.

Thanks Again for the replys. :huh: