VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Almost Arrested At Varo

Commander Bob

I tried to sneak in a 40 once to my RO office because I have to wait so long sometimes and a good drink usually helps with the wait. I got caught the last time and was told to not ever do it again or I wouldn't be allowed to comel back.

I was like, big deal dude. Don't you know i'm PTSD and I drink to hide the feelings. I currently have a claim for alcoholism secondary to PTSD.

I'm just scared that all the extra money I have now will drive me to drink more. What should I do. I am in AA/NA and sexual addiction anonomys.

I got kicked out of the last AA meeting because I was drunk. So glad my TDIU claim was granted so maybe I can get my act together now.

Praise the lord and I pray for everyone here.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to sneak in a 40 once to my RO office because I have to wait so long sometimes and a good drink usually helps with the wait. I got caught the last time and was told to not ever do it again or I wouldn't be allowed to comel back.

I was like, big deal dude. Don't you know i'm PTSD and I drink to hide the feelings. I currently have a claim for alcoholism secondary to PTSD.

I'm just scared that all the extra money I have now will drive me to drink more. What should I do. I am in AA/NA and sexual addiction anonomys.

I got kicked out of the last AA meeting because I was drunk. So glad my TDIU claim was granted so maybe I can get my act together now.

Praise the lord and I pray for everyone here.

desertstormvet,

This is just my opinion but I say find a way to stop drinking.

If you don't stop drinking, it won't matter that you have

at least 4 thousand a month in income, you'll still be drunk.

If you get in trouble for being drunk often enough like going to jail,

I think a VA doc could possibly find you incompetent to handle your finances.

You and your family should be on easy street now.

I believe if you tell the VA you want to request residential treatment

they do have a SATP that you would probably qualify for.

As long as you keep drinking, getting your IU won't help get your act together now.

You probably have a family that deserves more of you, minus the alcohol.

jmho,

carlie

Carly, i've been arrested 3 times for public drunkedness. All they do is send me to the drunk tank to sober up and then fine me.

Never had to do any time but I know my time is limited. I don't drive so no problem there thank God.

another arrest I was getting assaulted by a homeless drunk and the police came and arrested both of us. They even threw us in the same drunk tank. I wanted to kill this fool. Nothing ever came of this.

Praise the lord

• HadIt.com Elder

When I started out at the VA they tested Veterans to see if they used and if they did they kicked them out. Most Veterans with PTSD and Anxiety Disorder drink or use drugs t self medicate. From your comments you really need to look at help and even though AA kicked you out for being drunk I am fairly certain they will welcome you back if you are sober.

Good Luck to you. If you don't stop drinking nothing else will matter.

• HadIt.com Elder

It can be done, it's not an easy thing to do. You have to try. The meds help me with the PTSD and I have not been drinking (much) since.

• HadIt.com Elder

Carly, i've been arrested 3 times for public drunkedness. All they do is send me to the drunk tank to sober up and then fine me.

Welcome aboard, 'desertstormvet'. Congratulations on resolving your VA claim. Your big retro check came in today, and the financial pressure is off of you now. The VA will not have to pay you a dime while you are incarcerated for an extended period of time. Self medicating with booze has put some PTSD vets in Jail for life. The last place you need to be is locked up for the next twenty years or so. You mentioned in another HADIT topic, how you wanted to start a family. You are young and your life is still ahead of you. You have the financial security to live a good life. You deserve to be happy, and live a long life. Tomorrow is a new day for you, in many ways. Good luck Marine.

Edited by Commander Bob