VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Eye Movement Desensitization And Reprocessing (edmr) Treatment

Rate this question

Signal6

Question

Has anyone been through this treatment, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EDMR) Treatment? i had my first meeting with a VA social worker after being referred by the Physc. I am not sure how well it works, but the social says it is good and after a few treatments i will be "cured." You recall events, then sit infront of moving LED light and it helps your brain somehow.

My question, if I don't like the treatment, can I request normal counselling in lieu of EDMR? I am not SC for PTSD now, but plan to file once I receive my records and I don't want to screw up my claim by requesting a different treament.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have not had the treatment, however, you have the right to request whatever treatment you deem most appropriate for you.

Has anyone been through this treatment, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EDMR) Treatment? i had my first meeting with a VA social worker after being referred by the Physc. I am not sure how well it works, but the social says it is good and after a few treatments i will be "cured." You recall events, then sit infront of moving LED light and it helps your brain somehow.

My question, if I don't like the treatment, can I request normal counselling in lieu of EDMR? I am not SC for PTSD now, but plan to file once I receive my records and I don't want to screw up my claim by requesting a different treament.

First off you will never be "cured", if you have PTSD it will always be with you. Your symptoms may improve but PTSD will always be there. Any treatment is voluntary, and if you don't like it you can discontinue it anytime you like. I think you should state that you want traditional counseling either one on one, or group. They should honor your wishes.

Hope this helps,

Bergie

• HadIt.com Elder

Signal6 - don't wait to file!!!!! Every day you wait is lost money. You have a year to produce your evidence, so waiting makes no sense.

As for EMDR, it's supposed to work like REM sleep. This is a simple example/explanation. During REM sleep the brain processes our daily events and files them for future use. Supposedly, the trauma from PTSD has never been filed, so it kinda floats around in there, appearing frequently, as nightmares, flashbacks, intrusive thoughts, etc. The EMDR causes your eyes move back & forth, like in REM sleep, while either talking about or viewing your or similar events, and hopefully helps you process those events, thereby subduing their effect. I hear it helps for some. The VA trained a bunch of counselors about 5 yrs back but have never pushed the therapy, to my knowledge. jmo

pr

I have done prolonged exposure (PE), overall I'd have to say it sucked. It was 12 weeks and following the 12 weeks they cut me loose and left me hanging. Also, if like me you have several stressors than your screwed because PE will only focus on one event. Ironically I just got my VA records for the past year on Saturday. My PE was a research trial and I was told there would be no progress notes in my VA medical file. Well guess what, I was lied to because my therapist documented progress notes following each encounter. Even saying I had improved following the completion. Go figure, I may have improved with respect to the one stressor we focused on, but not the others and now I'm no better off since they cut me loose. Anyway, I gave up on the VA psych program and now receive weekly counseling from the Vet Center. They are much better than the VA, layed back and I can go there as long as I want, no time limit like the VA. So if you feel the VA is not meeting your needs try the Vet Center, I think you will be happier.

Good luck,

Bergie