VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice

Rate this question

Art

Question

:D I am a retired Gulf War Vet. In 1996 I had to fight with V.A. two years for 40%.

20% for right arm pain and weakness. Now arm has unexplained moderate to severe twitch. I am right handed. V.A. never gave me a full explanation about the arm. I have been under Neuro. Dr care last year, he says twitch is unexplained. In 1998 I got Voc.

Rehab. four years of college to be a teacher now can't even write my own name sometimes. My lower back is rated at 10% but now my right leg is going numb. Neuro. Dr. says this maybe because of lower back not sure. The last year I have been tested and retested for everything . All of my doctors say they do not know what is causing this. Could be maybe? My left leg is rated at 10% because of scar tissue. Any suggestions?

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In 2001 I was having left hand "spasm" which was classified as a seizure. Also left side weakness. Went through all of the tests and finally diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Just got disabled veteran status this week. I was diagnosed 6 years and 6 months from discharge date. If diagnosis is within 7 years of discharge date it is considered service connected at minimum of 30%. Have them check for MS. Good luck.

Are you being treated for this at a VA facility? If so make sure to get a copy of your records and make sure they are documenting everything. Also have you hand any EMG or cat/MRI scans? Are you having any other symptoms? 38 CFR 3.317 list the ones that they have for us Gulfwar vets.

I would request a gulf war registry exam and get into that part of it too. Also with what you are describing you should have a good chance at a WRIISC referal.

Also you need to file another claim for increase because of changes in your condition. Find a Service Offiecer that believes in the GWI and knows the facts vs one that will run it through like any other claim.

Frank Clark

:) I am a retired Gulf War Vet. In 1996 I had to fight with V.A. two years for 40%.

20% for right arm pain and weakness. Now arm has unexplained moderate to severe twitch. I am right handed. V.A. never gave me a full explanation about the arm. I have been under Neuro. Dr care last year, he says twitch is unexplained. In 1998 I got Voc.

Rehab. four years of college to be a teacher now can't even write my own name sometimes. My lower back is rated at 10% but now my right leg is going numb. Neuro. Dr. says this maybe because of lower back not sure. The last year I have been tested and retested for everything . All of my doctors say they do not know what is causing this. Could be maybe? My left leg is rated at 10% because of scar tissue. Any suggestions?

There is another recent post on here about parkinsons being listed as a part of gulf war illness.

http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?show...c=34370&hl=

I would definitely get it checked out. You can ask for any test you want from the VA.....So ask for a nerve conduction test or some other test to see if your twitching arm is caused by nerves or checkout your meds. Some meds can cause this twitching but I would check out and research gulf war illness. Chemicals can be a major cause of nerve disorders!

Frank0469 is right you need to get a Gulf War registry exam!!!! This is really important if you want to file for any upgrades in your disability.

Most VA have primary care doctors doctors that specialize in certain war illnesses, i.e. there are docs that treat only Vietnam veterans and their illnesses, some treat only gulf war vets, this is because they specialize in the illnesses that have come from each particular war.

Good Luck!

Edited by hawkfire27

Thanks for your advice. I have only been seeing my Drs. for this . When I went to the VA. here I showed the VA ortho Dr (this is where they sent me because of my back and shoulder disability rating) my right arm twitching and he asked me if I drank I do not!! and then he said we can't do anything for your back here. I have been on several meds which do stop the twitching Neuroton included but they al so make me high! Can not function with them.I sent my Drs. reports to VA regional office last week and I am waiting for reply. This is just really depressing since I tried to work first year I was in the hospital for a week went back for second year and I was placed on crutches and sent to another Neuro. Dr. I had to quit because you can not chase elementary kids on crutches, and I haven't worked in over a year. Again thanks for your advice.

Just my opinion but have you thought about seeing a psychiatrist about depression for your back and arm condition. In some cases people who have chronic pain can develop depression and if found related can be awarded service connection as a secondary condition. Do you suffer from any of the other gulf war illnesses?

Edited by pacmanx1

I do have some irretable bowl . But the biggest problem is with the arm twitching and the leg going numb. My Drs. cannot tell me why this is happening.

My lower back is rated at sc 10% and my right arm is rated at sc 20%. My Drs. have x-rayed my knee and say it is fine, my last Neuro. Dr. said maybe leg problem could be because of lower back but he is not sure. I have had nerve tests, MRI, CT of everything but no answer about what the cause is. I have considered seeing a Dr. about depression

I just want someone to say why this is getting worse so I can get on with my life. Like I said in my other posts I with Va. Dr asking me if I drank so I do not trust any thing about va Drs.