VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice

Rate this question

Art

Question

:D I am a retired Gulf War Vet. In 1996 I had to fight with V.A. two years for 40%.

20% for right arm pain and weakness. Now arm has unexplained moderate to severe twitch. I am right handed. V.A. never gave me a full explanation about the arm. I have been under Neuro. Dr care last year, he says twitch is unexplained. In 1998 I got Voc.

Rehab. four years of college to be a teacher now can't even write my own name sometimes. My lower back is rated at 10% but now my right leg is going numb. Neuro. Dr. says this maybe because of lower back not sure. The last year I have been tested and retested for everything . All of my doctors say they do not know what is causing this. Could be maybe? My left leg is rated at 10% because of scar tissue. Any suggestions?

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I suggest that you make an appointment with your PCP(primary care provider) and ask them for a referral to the mental health clinic because you feel that your back and arm conditions are getting worst and making you feel depressed. Also you can talk to them about any IBS. Make sure you get a copy of your VAMC medical records to find out what you are being diagnosed with and then see if it could be related to your service connected conditions and then file a claim. They always ask if you use alcohol or illegal drugs, don't let it worry you. When I started my claims, I was told that all my problems were in my head until my private Dr. did a bone scan and then everything changed. Keep on fighting.

Hope the best

Thank you for all of your advice. I am willing to try anything and I will go to my Dr. and ask about a referal. I am also going to ask him about writing a letter about my if I can work or not. To everybody on hadit I appreciate your help and advise.

If this is affecting your dominant hand , and bal;ance etc it could make working very difficult of not impossible at some point.

I suggest you definitely claim these conditions and follow the news on GWVs:

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1858

You should also apply for TDIU.

I am wondering the same thing others here have brought up- have you had MRI or any nerve conduction tests done?

Yes I have had complete MRI and Ct and nerve test requested by my last neuro. Dr. he still says undiagnoised cause for the problem? I have requested a increase in disability, sent paper work to VA regional office last week.

:blink: I went to my Primary Care Dr. today. He agrees that my condition is getting worse but says he can not write any paper work for me. He wants me to go back to Neurologist who last saw me the one who said he had no idea why my arm was twitching and my leg was going numb. He says he does not know what else to do but give me more meds, for pain which do nothing but knock me out.

Most Dr's. will not write letters like that but if you have them treat you then it will get in your records and then you can file a claim. Did you ask him for a referral? Doesn't really matter the neurologist can refer you to mental health and you can go from there. Just keep in mind that if you ask a psychiatrist to write you a letter that you can't work, the answer will probable be the same. Just let then treat you and then get your reports to see where you stand.