VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice

Rate this question

Art

Question

:D I am a retired Gulf War Vet. In 1996 I had to fight with V.A. two years for 40%.

20% for right arm pain and weakness. Now arm has unexplained moderate to severe twitch. I am right handed. V.A. never gave me a full explanation about the arm. I have been under Neuro. Dr care last year, he says twitch is unexplained. In 1998 I got Voc.

Rehab. four years of college to be a teacher now can't even write my own name sometimes. My lower back is rated at 10% but now my right leg is going numb. Neuro. Dr. says this maybe because of lower back not sure. The last year I have been tested and retested for everything . All of my doctors say they do not know what is causing this. Could be maybe? My left leg is rated at 10% because of scar tissue. Any suggestions?

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My plan is to take the copies of medical reports which pretain to what has been going, on the same ones i have sent to VA along with meds that both my primary dr and neuro dr has prescribed. If they ask i will show them. My right arm is rated at 20% so i figure they should know that. I do not plan on even mentioning disability increase because that has to be made at VA regional office. I am sending VA regional office back paperwork so they can get copies of all of the tests, Cat scan, MRI, EMG, Ultrasounds and all blood work from my hospital stays. Last hospital stay in early March this year, they have eletronic records, my Neuro dr pulls them up on his office computer i hope VA can do the same. My primary dr should give them my records as well as my neuro dr. Basically i plan on telling them what is going on showing them any information they need because the only other choices are just dealing with the problem, or being bounced between my dr who says he can do nothing, and neuro dr who says undiagnoised reason but agrees i have a problem, and hope for the best. Thanks for any advice.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would be frank with my private doctors. Tell them you are trying for an increase in compensation so they know how to write reports or make notes. Since you are already SC'ed you want to just show that your condition is worse. The private doctors need to say this. You can never count on VARO putting dots together because they don't know how neither are the qualified. They just match medical information conclusions with regulations governing disability % ratings. If you meet the criteria you get the increase.

Don't mention disability or ratings because they are not there for that. The C & P doctor is there to write up and evaluate you or maybe give their opinion of if your condition is related to your service and the rationale to their opinion.

My comment was for C & P doctors, some C & P doctors feel that veterans only want to get disability and not work but we know otherwise. The C & P Doctors are just "SUPPOSE" to review the veterans' file, give him/her an exam, write/dictate notes, give their medical opinion(not personal opinion) and to give a medical rationale, but this does not always happen.

I have discussed if what is going on with my right arm and right leg is connected with my current rating (10% lower back 20 % right arm) with my Neuro. Dr. he says maybe, could be, he says here try these meds most of which make me high, one pill (NEUROTON 600 mg) made me high for two days. I could not get out of bed, felt light headed, that is one of the side effects and his plan was to possibly have me take two a day. My primary Dr. is just a regular MD. so he has no idea. I know about some C/P Drs. they think VETS just do not want to work. If that was the case then I would not have worked nights and went back to school during the day for 5 years. I plan on maybe telling C/P Dr. this if he asks. What I really want is to know why my arm is twitching and my right leg is going numb.

My C/P exam on the 18th was a complete waste of time. The exam was nothing more than

having someone remeasure scars from a surgery i had on my left leg while on active duty. This is rated at 10% and is not what i applied for an increase in compesation for. I go back now to the VA hospital on 5 June for another c/p exam by ortho. I have copies of all med records from active duty which shows a problem with my arm and leg while on active duty.

Some of my records show djd in my lower spine , t-spine. (is this compensatable?) right now my lower back is rated at 10% right arm 20%. I just want to know hwo to prepare for the next time i go to the va because one person told me the ortho exam may be done by interns.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just in case it may be a good idea to get the C&P and see what they said. Most who have gotten a copy of their C&P's have been surprised. They do a lot behind the scenes.

If the C&P was done at a VAMC go to the Records Request Department and ask for a print out.

If QTC did it ask the VARO for a copy.