VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Zoloft Side Effects

Rate this topic

Hey folks, my psych switched me to zoloft about 3 weeks ago from wellbutrin....She had me go from 2 wellbutrin a day to one wellbutrin and half a zoloft the first week then only one zoloft a day...I did this and have been taking one zoloft a day now starting my 3rd week...I switched this to taking in the PM with approval from my psych....I have had terrible problems with being extremely sleepy,lethargic and a general lack of energy....I felt so bad I called in sick to work last Thursday,Friday and then had Monday off for the federal holiday....I tried to go to work today but had to turn around and come home...I got a doctors appt (outside of VA) thinking maybe I had a bug...He advised me to talk to my psych about taking me off the zoloft and switching to something else...He also said that the combination with the Ambien I take may be causing the problems......Has anyone else had these problems.....I really can't afford to lose my job right now and am on thin ice....Even though I work for the Government and am 10% I can be let go because I am in my first year as a permanent employee....I don't want to get fired but have absolutely no energy and find it extremely difficult to make the drive to work..I drive a long distance..............Am I the only person with this problem...I have been told that after 2 weeks or so the effects will go away but they seem to be getting worse....I am a major depressant and will have to take something..........Any advice will be appreciated........Gridsmasher11

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I used o take Zoloft and it made me sick so I tried a few others until I found the right one which is Effexor - generic Venlafaxine. This med is for the depressive part of bipolar. For the manic part, I take Lamictal - generic Lamotrigine. This is not a common combination but it works for me.

He also said that the combination with the Ambien I take may be causing the problems

Grid,

Is your psyc doctor aware of all medications you take

to include RX'd,OTC,any herbs,vitamins or supplements ?

carlie

Carlie,Thanks for the answer, Yes my psych knows...I specifically asked about the combination of the zoloft and ambien....I listed all the meds I take..Other than VA prescribed meds all I take is Allopurinol for gout and they know about it..I have stopped taking OTC meds since they gave me the anti depressants and don't take any herbals or vitamins...i have an appt. with my psych next week and will ask to be changed to something else....Grid

• HadIt.com Elder

My personal experience with zoloft was I felt like blah. I neither got excited or super depressed just who gives a damn or who cares.. It was like being in a fog all the time