VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No Psych Eval Scheduled... Should I Be Worried?

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I filed my claim back in April, received & submitted the stressor worksheet in November. I've been through evals for my physical claims, but not for PTSD.

I stopped in to see the local VA rep last week and he said he was a little concerned that there wasn't one scheduled. I said I thought it was probably too soon to start worrying, that they were likely still investigating the evidence/records. He confessed that mine is only the second MST claim he's worked with. (!)

They don't do the psych evaluation if they can't verify the who and where, etc., right? I mean, they'll need to look back 20-odd years at personnel records, etc. No news is good news, right?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I filed for ptsd in 2003 was denied never appealed. In april i refiled it and it was denied in june. Filed a reconsideration denied in July. So I filed TBI with depression seconary to the TBI. They than added the PTSD onto that claim. HAd TBI exam linked depression to the TBI and than they want a PTSD exam. Depression is easy I believe to get since you dont have to deal with a stressor. But if its your first time to file it probably be denied. I think its like social security denied right off the bat the first time and they hope the veteran will give up. But keep fighting if you are denied. I also if you are denied and do a reconsideration it goes faster than the orginal claim does not for sure but someone on here will know. Keep strong and keep fighting no matter what happens.

Hedgey,

Relax brother. They will get to you one day.

My experience is as follows. Filed August 2008. Denied a year or so later. Asked for reconsideration and was approved (according to preliminary word from DAV VSO) This month.

No verified stressor and no C&P exam.

Odd huh?

• HadIt.com Elder
Kansasguy, yeah, this is my first time. I'm wondering if I should have filed for Depression Secondary to Chronic Pain instead. Less heartache, I bet.

Are you SC for chronic pain? You can always change the claim when it comes to depression like cardiac conditions there can be lot's of reasons as to the cause of it, when I first started my claim I was blaming my exposure to chemical weapons and drugs at Edgewood Arsenal in 1974 on my CAD and hypertension then a few years into it I saw that it wasn't ever going to be accepted by the VA as "exposures" being the cause so my lawyer blamed my SC PTSD as being the condition that caused my early onset coronary artery disease (CAD) and hypertension and the studies by DR Boscarino and others were the basis for this claim and the RO still denied the claim despite 4 IMOs stating exactly the same thing and with the nexus spelled out for them and all the dots connected, bottom line is the VARO was not going to approve a secondary claim for heart problems period for me if the BVA awarded it they could live with that but no rater was going to "give" it to me and then the RO still found a way to stick it to me I was approved for SSD in less than 5 months based on VA records only for a failed triple bypass 2 stents that failed and my ejection fraction is less than 30% automatic approval for SSD the VARO ignored this evidence and awarded my CAD at 60% and my hypertension at 10% as it is controlled with meds since it took me to SMC S it really does not matter what % they awarded 60 or 100 the SMC S would remain the % I get paid the CAD just ensures my wife and son will continue to be eligible for DIC and education benefits if I die before I hit the 10 year mark on my PTSD and given the history of 7 heart attacks, a stroke and the failed bypass operation, and there is no surgical fix for my problems I am a medicate only patient the odds of me dying from heart problems is greater than me dying from PTSD at some point is it time to quit fighting them and others it behooves the veteran and their family to keep fighting the system, if the medical problem is a possible cause of death then the veteran should keep fighting to get the condition SC if not like my tinnitus, psoriasis, hemmeroids, GERD, herniated disks they are a nuisance and painful but none of them are possibly fatal and given the 100% level I am they treat all my medical problems so it ain't worth fighting over

if you need to change the diagnosis and the cause depression is depression ragardless of what caused it.....use an already SC problem or problems to blame it on

• HadIt.com Elder
I filed for ptsd in 2003 was denied never appealed. In april i refiled it and it was denied in june. Filed a reconsideration denied in July. So I filed TBI with depression seconary to the TBI. They than added the PTSD onto that claim. HAd TBI exam linked depression to the TBI and than they want a PTSD exam. Depression is easy I believe to get since you dont have to deal with a stressor. But if its your first time to file it probably be denied. I think its like social security denied right off the bat the first time and they hope the veteran will give up. But keep fighting if you are denied. I also if you are denied and do a reconsideration it goes faster than the orginal claim does not for sure but someone on here will know. Keep strong and keep fighting no matter what happens.

If you don't appeal they win some claims they just want to force the vets to appeal to BVA and be forced to make them pay it they get ignorant like that more often than not appeal appeal and appeal again

• HadIt.com Elder
Hedgey,

Relax brother. They will get to you one day.

My experience is as follows. Filed August 2008. Denied a year or so later. Asked for reconsideration and was approved (according to preliminary word from DAV VSO) This month.

No verified stressor and no C&P exam.

Odd huh?

Have you seen the percentage yet? anything in writing about it? Yes it's very odd to have them approve a claim with no verified stressor or no C&P exam usually they do not approve claims like this please post what they did and what the SOC states as their basis for doing it thanks

Test,

Yes, I am interested in seeing the SOC and the reasons for approval without the two things I mentioned. I wonder if they have relaxed some of the requirements. I do know, from the DAV, the percentage and the date is was decided.

IRIS inquiry response says:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Our records indicate that we are in the final stages of your appeal for PTSD. The appeals team reached a decision concerning your appeal on January 21, 2010. The appeals team submitted your appeal to the rating board on January 21, 2010.

The rating board will review your file and the appeals team decision, which we are unable to view until after the rating board and authorization department finalizes your appeal. We are unable to give you an estimated completion date of your claim as the rating board reviews files in the order in which they are received, and we are unable to view the current caseload.

After a decision has been established, your file will go to the authorization department for verification and review. The claims process can be lengthy due to the many processes that must take place. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work our way through the claims processing procedures.

------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the case is at the authorization department as my VSO called me and told me they were reviewing what had to be done concerning my Air Force retirement. They did the same on my last claim approval. It throws them for a curve as I have not drawn an Air Force retirement since 1983, when I retired from the Postal Service, when I surrendered the AF pay and bought into the

Postal Service retirement system. The VSO said she would call upstairs and tell them the situation,

Just hanging around and waiting.