VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mst / Ptsd Question

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I was a victum of SExual harrasement several times while on active duty in the military. Once i basic, and 2 times while stationed in Ga. One resulted in my daughter. At the time I just took it and didnt really have a reaction good or bad. I was 18 and just manipulated. Never reported it. I am not getting treatment for the mst/ptsd because what I didnt realize my life and the way it has turned out was affected because of it. its all documented by my therapist. I am on anti anxiety med also due to my horrible distrust of people around me and in social situations. I have filed a claim for and depression and ptsd are on there. Here is the questions. Is it possible I will get awarded when at the time I did not realize the severity of the situation and that i was being manipulated and used adn allowed 2 of the 3 men to basically ruin my life. My trust, my self esteem I mean everything. My dr says I have been in depression since then and has it well documented in my va records. I have to see a phyciatrist. and phycologist on a weekly basis now. I just thougt I was ment to have bad things happen to me and my life was goinig to be horrible and full of hurt and pain. I never realized until my diagnosis that all that was happending was not just my tragedy and a result of depressoin that I had for over 10 years. Will this affect my being awarded you think. because there was sex will I not be awarded. I mean please give me your input. i hate thinking about it but i mean its all I think about lately because we are discussig these things in therapy weekly. My head is juts all messed up and most times I cannot function. I have no jon and am even homeless right now. I am at rock bottom. As stated I did not report it then though I kneww it was wrong. I just wanted thing to be ok and to be left along trying to make it. Now I see that I was just young and I guess not smart.

please give me any input you can offer.

thnx

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I unapproved three posts on this thread. All were not appropriate and if this Member posts a single reply on this thread I will suspend him for 2 weeks.

When a post is unapproved it becomes invisible except to Moderators and Tbird.

Jokes or derision on serious threads are not appreciated.

I hope that I have made it clear that making fun of Members who have suffered serious trauma or making snide comments are not allowed on Hadit

PM me if you have any questions.

• HadIt.com Elder
WELL I HAVE A DAUGHTER BY THE GUYS WHO WAS MY NCOIC. WHEN THE SITUATION FIRST STARTED I DID NOT KNOW HE WAS GOING TO BE IN OUR UNIT OR MY BOSS FOR THAT MATTER. I YOUNG AND NEW TO THE WORLD. NEVER BEEN AWAY FROM HOME BUT FOR BT. I DID GET ADVANCED ON BY HIM BUT DIDNT ACTUALLY HAVE ANYTHING GO ON WITH HIM UNTIL I WAS IN HIS CAR ON THE WAY HOME FROM A CLUB MY FRIEND I RODE WITH I COULD NOT FIND. HE OFFERED ME A RIDE AND STOPPED HALF WAY THERE AND TOLD ME TO KISS HIM. WHEN A WHILE LATER AFTER I LOST A FAMILY MEMBER AND WAS HAVING ISSUES WITH PATIENT CARE DUE TO BEING DEPRESSED BY ALL THE INJURIES I WAS KIND OF NOT HANDING THING WELL THAT IS WHEN HE MADE ADVANCES FOR SEX AND EVENTUALLY ONE NIGHT I WAS DRINKING AND DRUNK OUT OF MY MIND AND GAVE IN. I AM TOLD THIS IS NOT HARASSMENT BECAUSE I DID EVENTUALLY HAVE SEX THAT WAS NOT RAPE CAUSE I NEVER SAID STOP. ALSO BECAUSE EVENTUALLY I NEVER REFUSED HIM AND I LATER HAD A DAUGHTER WITH HIM. I LATER DID FIND OUT HE WAS PREGNANT BUT I WAS SO DEPRESSED AND HE WAS THERE FOR ME. HE HELP CARE FOR MY DAUGHTER I FELT I OWED HIM. I HAD NO ONE TO TALK TO ABOUT THIS I MEAN I HAD ACTUALLY GAVE UP ON LIFE NAD TRIED TO DRINK MYSELF TO DEATH AT ONE POINT. I HAD TO MUCHH GOING ON. AT ANYRATE. SHE SAYS CAUSE WE HAVE A DAUGHTER I KEPT ITS NOT HARRASEMENT BECAUSE I DID CONTINUE THE COITUS AND ALL THAT. THERE IS WHERE I AM CONFUSED. I DONT WANT TO LIST IT IF ITS NOT HARRASEMENT. HE WAS A LIER ENDED UP MARRIED WITH A BABY FROM SOMEONE ELSE. I DID AFFECT ME AT WORK AND CAUSED ME A WHOLE LOT OF STRESS BECAUSE OF BEING IN THE MIDST OF ALL THIS DRAMA IN MY LIFE.

I DONT KNOW WHAT IS WHAT I JUST AM TRYING TO GET ANSWERS.

THNX

x

x

x

I do hope that, since the Chief of the VA Mental Health Dept. is inherently responsible for the VA VASH program management, that VA provides comprehensive care for your current mental health issues. But, I don't doubt that they may have overlooked the importance of providing you with, or access to, trained support --needed to file a successful VA Claim.

I am dismayed, that the VASH program staff has not directed your questions to a female Veteran's Service Officer --or VA Woman's Veterans Coordinator. These individuals would be better suited to answer your questions about MST/PTSD.

My opinions don't count for much in defining your specific traumatic experiences; what really matters is what you actually experienced, and what you feel, think and believe. If you believe you were coerced or date-raped or even manipulated into this sexual experience, chances are --you probably were. Even if this experience is not defined as textbook "sexual harrassment" or MST, or even rise to the level of criminal behavior: if you feel injured or sexually violated, I understand that, and I am sorry and supportive.

HOWEVER, all this being said, proving service-connection is a whole different matter --and will require evidence of an in-service injury or disease. So, let's get on with that business.

QUESTIONS

1. Have you requested a copy of your service medical records (SMR's)?

2. Did you recieve any military medical treatment for any mental health issues?

3. Have you requested copies of your military personnel file?

4. Were you ever counseled on behavior problems due to your mental health issues?

5. In this text, you talk about being "depressed" as the result of "patient care" and patient "injuries". The term injury suggests exposer to either battlefield injuries, or working in a military medical environment that cared for injured service members? Is this your situation?

These are significant questions --it would help to answer them. ~Wings

~Wings

Edited by Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Additional Resources:

Grace After Fire http://www.graceafterfire.org/

Women Organizing Women http://www.vetwow.com/index.htm

SWAN 1-888-729-2089,

or write to: peersupport@servicewomen.org

SWAN is a non-partisan, non-profit human rights organization that works to improve the welfare of U.S. servicewomen and all women veterans. SWAN advocates for servicewomen and women veterans by educating the public, recommending sound policy reform to legislators, developing creative, healing and empowering community programs, offering personal support and guidance from fellow women veterans and providing pro bono legal referrals from military law experts.

Ask the Professionals http://www.graceafterfire.org/professional.php

Edited by Wings

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Wings is right. You have the right to choose the gender of the counselor. In some cases, they may give you someone of the opposite gender temporarily. For example, if you choose to talk to a female doc, but she is out on maternity leave, then you might have to speak with a male doc if no other females are available.

QUESTIONS

1. Have you requested a copy of your service medical records (SMR's)? Yes I have they are said to lost and they are in the process of looking for them. I have contacted the Reserves which I was in prior to the military and they say they dont have them either. I am going to go to hinesville next week to see if any files are remaining in the records section there.

Yes I did while on active duty. for the depression and we did cover some of the other issues to a certain extent.

I did waiting to get them. they said its in processing

4. Were you ever counseled on behavior problems due to your mental health issues? I do believe I had an issue related to my childs father. so do believe so.

5. In this text, you talk about being "depressed" as the result of "patient care" and patient "injuries". The term injury suggests exposer to either battlefield injuries, or working in a military medical environment that cared for injured service members? Is this your situation?

I we treated patients returned from battle or field problems that resulted in ingury. We also got kids that were injured and the results involved the bones in any way direct or indirect.

we also got deep injuries like a guys hand was injured when a granade blew up in it. Things like that

These are significant questions --it would help to answer them.

• HadIt.com Elder
QUESTIONS

1. Have you requested a copy of your service medical records (SMR's)?

Yes I have. they are said to lost and they are in the process of looking for them. I have contacted the Reserves which I was in prior to the military and they say they dont have them either. I am going to go to hinesville next week to see if any files are remaining in the records section there.

Yes I did while on active duty. for the depression and we did cover some of the other issues to a certain extent.

I did waiting to get them. they said its in processing

4. Were you ever counseled on behavior problems due to your mental health issues? I do believe I had an issue related to my childs father. so do believe so.

I we treated patients returned from battle or field problems that resulted in ingury. We also got kids that were injured and the results involved the bones in any way direct or indirect.

we also got deep injuries like a guys hand was injured when a granade blew up in it. Things like that

These are significant questions --it would help to answer them.

x

x

x

1. What branch of service did you serve, Army?

2. What was your MOS?

You NEED your service medical records ASAP! Get a service officer, or go to a Vet Center and tell them you need a copy of your military records STAT.

IMO, You should file a VA Claim for Depression where you have a current diagnosis of Depression, and you obtain a written statement from treatment provider that would say your current diagnosis of Depression is "as likely as not" related to your military service and is supported by the evidence of record.

ALSO, You are eligible for a VA Pension if the medical evidence states you are totally disabled. A Pension need not be service-connected. ~Wings