VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is This True ?

Rate this question

gp747

Question

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT TO YIELD BETTER BENEFITS FOR THOUSANDS OF

VETERANS SUFFERING FROM PTSD AND THEIR FAMILIES

Veterans must opt-in by July 24 for disability rating upgrade and expedited review of benefits, NVLSP and Morgan Lewis available to counsel veterans on their rights as class members

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 25, 2010

WASHINGTON—Following an order issued by the judge overseeing Sabo v. United States, legal notices are being mailed this week to more than 4,300 veterans who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom and were diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The court’s notice invites them to join a class action lawsuit filed in December 2008 in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by signing and submitting an “opt-in” form no later than July 24, 2010. Submitting this form will allow these veterans to take advantage of a negotiated resolution that guarantees an upgrade in the veteran’s disability rating and an expedited review by a military correction board to determine the full extent of the rating improvement.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of seven veterans by the non-profit National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP) and pro bono counsel Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP, alleges that between December 17, 2002 and October 14, 2008, the military illegally denied benefits to an entire class of service members who returned from Iraq and Afghanistan with PTSD and were discharged from service.

As a result of the suit, the military has agreed to expedite a review of records to increase the disability ratings previously issued to all class members. To help affected veterans navigate the process of seeking the benefits to which they are entitled, NVLSP and Morgan Lewis are bringing together approximately 100 volunteer lawyers to offer free counseling to all class members.

The disability ratings which are the subject of the lawsuit are critically important to veterans with PTSD. A permanent disability rating of 30% or more entitles a veteran to monthly disability benefits for the rest of the veteran’s life, to free health care for the veteran and his or her spouse for life, and to free health care for their minor children.

i did not know spouse was covered,have i been missing something? i am 50% and have not heard of any program for my wife and children.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Veterans must opt-in by July 24 for disability rating upgrade and expedited review of benefits, NVLSP and Morgan Lewis available to counsel veterans on their rights as class members

WASHINGTON—Following an order issued by the judge overseeing Sabo v. United States, legal notices are being mailed this week to more than 4,300 veterans who served in Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring Freedom and were diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

The court’s notice invites them to join a class action lawsuit filed in December 2008 in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims by signing and submitting an “opt-in” form no later than July 24, 2010. Submitting this form will allow these veterans to take advantage of a negotiated resolution that guarantees an upgrade in the veteran’s disability rating and an expedited review by a military correction board to determine the full extent of the rating improvement.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of seven veterans by the non-profit National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP) and pro bono counsel Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP, alleges that between December 17, 2002 and October 14, 2008, the military illegally denied benefits to an entire class of service members who returned from Iraq and Afghanistan with PTSD and were discharged from service.

As a result of the suit, the military has agreed to expedite a review of records to increase the disability ratings previously issued to all class members. To help affected veterans navigate the process of seeking the benefits to which they are entitled, NVLSP and Morgan Lewis are bringing together approximately 100 volunteer lawyers to offer free counseling to all class members.

The disability ratings which are the subject of the lawsuit are critically important to veterans with PTSD. A permanent disability rating of 30% or more entitles a veteran to monthly disability benefits for the rest of the veteran’s life, to free health care for the veteran and his or her spouse for life, and to free health care for their minor children.

i did not know spouse was covered,have i been missing something? i am 50% and have not heard of any program for my wife and children.

nor have I.

• HadIt.com Elder

It is by law that spouse is covered if you are allowed to keep Tricare. If not then you have to be 100 percent and Permanent and Total for the spouse to qualify for Champ VA.

This will not change

J

The disability ratings which are the subject of the lawsuit are critically important to veterans with PTSD.

A permanent disability rating of 30% or more entitles a veteran to monthly disability benefits for the rest of the veteran’s life, to free health care for the veteran and his or her spouse for life, and to free health care for their minor children.

I do not think the above will ever get off the ground.

1) How are they going to justify a PERMANENT 30 % rating ?

Will that mean there is NO WAY to improve PTSD ?

Will that mean the vet can't ever get an increase if their

PTSD disability worsens ?

So, if the veterans PTSD totally resolves the goober-mint will still

pay the disability compensation for the life of the veteran ?

2) 30 % SC for PTSD and the vet, spouse and the children (while minors)

get free health care for life -

BS - this will never fly.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe they are talking about a veteran being disability retired from active duty military, w/30% or greater. Those who are retired w/30% or greater receive Tricare for life for them, their spouse and free care for minor children. They are not talking about regular disabled vets.

Go to http://nvlsp.org/ and read the news on the settlement.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder
I believe they are talking about a veteran being disability retired from active duty military, w/30% or greater. Those who are retired w/30% or greater receive Tricare for life for them, their spouse and free care for minor children. They are not talking about regular disabled vets.

Go to http://nvlsp.org/ and read the news on the settlement.

pr

Good post PR. ~Wings

Good post PR. ~Wings

WHO CAN BE A CLASS MEMBER IN THIS CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?

All individuals who (a) served on active duty in the U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Air Force, (B) were found by a Physical Evaluation Board to be unfit for continued service due, at least in part, to the individual’s PTSD, © were assigned a disability rating for PTSD of less than 50%, and, as a result, (d) were released, separated, retired, or discharged from active duty after December 17, 2002, and prior to October 14, 2008 (regardless whether such release, separation, retirement, or discharge resulted in the individual’s placement on the Temporary Disability Retirement List).

well here is what it says as to who can qualify.