VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Next Week On Cervical And Lumbar Spine Issues

Rate this question

Joe01

Question

I had appeal the Va decision of 10% for cervical spine and 10% lumbar spine raitings on oct 2009. Had a call from C&P to schedule for next week, so I did. Here's a little bit of history. When I had my first c&p on 2008 I had not much history on this disAbilities other than service records and complains of pain, physical therapy with only short term relive and prescribed muscle relaxants, antinflamatories, and pain meds and a tens unit with st relief too, wich I don't use cuz it make my muscles feal thigther. I'm currently going to chiropractic once a month, again only short term relief from this. A couple month ago I had the first MRI done on back and neck. According to my pain managment doc via a phone conversation, cuz I haven't seen him since before the MRI results came out cuz his schedule is full???,anyways, according to him MRI shows a herniated cervical disc on c5/6 and a degenerative disc disorder on L4/5, wich finally explains my pain on neck and shoulders, now getting worst with arm and hand falling asleep and needles sensations some time. On my lower back I get pain going down one of my legs some times. What should I expect on this c&p? Will it only be for ROM? Will I have time to tell and explain all this to my c&p doc? Because I haven't seen my physiatrist since oct, before the MRI was done, will this affect my case?

I would appreciate inputs and suggestions!!

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This information should be helpful:

Examination Worksheet - Spine (Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar)

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm53.htm

(this is what they should probably have done during the C&P exam)

§4.71a - Schedule of Ratings - Musculoskeletal System

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/regs/38CFR/BOO...ART4/S4_71a.DOC

This information should be helpful:

Examination Worksheet - Spine (Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar)

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm53.htm

(this is what they should probably have done during the C&P exam)

§4.71a - Schedule of Ratings - Musculoskeletal System

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/regs/38CFR/BOO...ART4/S4_71a.DOC

thanks for the haelp V.

I had appeal the Va decision of 10% for cervical spine and 10% lumbar spine raitings on oct 2009. Had a call from C&P to schedule for next week, so I did. Here's a little bit of history. When I had my first c&p on 2008 I had not much history on this disAbilities other than service records and complains of pain, physical therapy with only short term relive and prescribed muscle relaxants, antinflamatories, and pain meds and a tens unit with st relief too, wich I don't use cuz it make my muscles feal thigther. I'm currently going to chiropractic once a month, again only short term relief from this. A couple month ago I had the first MRI done on back and neck. According to my pain managment doc via a phone conversation, cuz I haven't seen him since before the MRI results came out cuz his schedule is full???,anyways, according to him MRI shows a herniated cervical disc on c5/6 and a degenerative disc disorder on L4/5, wich finally explains my pain on neck and shoulders, now getting worst with arm and hand falling asleep and needles sensations some time. On my lower back I get pain going down one of my legs some times. What should I expect on this c&p? Will it only be for ROM? Will I have time to tell and explain all this to my c&p doc? Because I haven't seen my physiatrist since oct, before the MRI was done, will this affect my case?

I would appreciate inputs and suggestions!!

Went thru in last September, C5-6 ruptured disc. The doc should do a ROM test. If he doesn't the ask. Don't let him bring you to tears when he moves the neck. If it hurts, let him know. The needles and falling asleep and shooting pain in leg sound like Cervical Radiculopathy, but I'm not a doctor. I added the radiculopathy to my claim after my private Neurosurgeon connected it to the C5-6 rupture. I got 30% for ROM and 10%/10% for the left and right arm radiculopathy. Your C&P doc may not make an opinion on the Radiculopathy. Make sure you let him know the problems you are having in the arms/legs.

Went thru in last September, C5-6 ruptured disc. The doc should do a ROM test. If he doesn't the ask. Don't let him bring you to tears when he moves the neck. If it hurts, let him know. The needles and falling asleep and shooting pain in leg sound like Cervical Radiculopathy, but I'm not a doctor. I added the radiculopathy to my claim after my private Neurosurgeon connected it to the C5-6 rupture. I got 30% for ROM and 10%/10% for the left and right arm radiculopathy. Your C&P doc may not make an opinion on the Radiculopathy. Make sure you let him know the problems you are having in the arms/legs.

thanks A.T. How is the ROM test done?

The doc used that Geometer (not right spelling) and went in all direction 3 times. From what I heard most won't use it, they will just ballpark the degrees. My doc got 5 degrees all the way around.

My experience was weird. I was totally embarassed but hey, I am injured and had to prove to him that I have a serious problem. The examiner wanted me to take off my clothing. Underwear only was left on, and he wanted to see how I walked with the back injuries. He later asked if i could bend, could i go from side to side, I think there he was just basically checking range of motion. And he asked what was painful and where it hurt exactly. and then he wanted some xrays after the exam, and based on that is how he wrote his report. After it all was said and done I got the rating and a rating increase on an existing injury.

I feel blessed to have all the documentation from the injuries substained in the military, It really helped my case.