VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi Claim Sent To San Juan To Be Rated

Rate this question

prietosky

Question

My claim for tbi was sent to VARO of Puerto Rico to be rated,any veteran has the experience to been rated for TBI at Puerto Rico regional office? asked becouse i herad there is really hard to get service connected due to the way they work cases.here is some of the findings of my neurosphycological test report: SEVERE visual impairmnet,SEVERE memory,concentration,attention,SEVERE motor cordination,SEVERE ability to learn new material.

DIAGNOSTIC IMPRESSION:

Axis I 293.9 Mental Disorder due to TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY (with post concissive symtoms)

309.81 Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Axis II V62.89 Borderline Intellectual Functioning

Axis III

Axis IV Problems related to readjusment from the war

Axis V 65

Based on the information above,what rating % should i get?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"Based on the information above,what rating % should i get?"

If this assessment said you are unemployable due to the TBI and PTSD and they are attributed directly to your service - then they should award TDIU in my opinion but see below *- have you formally applied for TDIU yet?

How did this cover anything as to a statement on your ability to be employed?

Do you receive SSA disability benefits for these same conditions?

*If VA rates you at 70% then they will surely consider you for TDIU and send you the TDIU form-but have you sent it in to them yourself?

The rating will hinge on how these disabilities affect your ability to work.

VA uses the date of the signed and filled out TDIU form -if they award- for when the 100% rate of comp begins to be paid.

It pays to send them the form yourself- why wait?

For PTSD you could get 10,20,30,40,50% depend of the severity.TBI the same ,I get 10% for TBI inPUERTO RICO and 30 % for PTSD.

lucena,

Welcome to Hadit.

I'm sorry but the percentage levels you posted for PTSD are not correct.

The correct disability percentage levels for PTSD and all mental health disabilities are:

SC'd at zero - 10 percent - 30 percent - 50 percent - 70 percent or 100 percent.

If you were rated for a disability due to brain injury prior to Oct 2008 the criteria back then limited

that disability to 10 percent.

A change in the Schedule for TBI Diagnostic Code 8045, was made effective Oct 2008 that is much more

advantageous for the veteran.

You may request to be re-evaluated under the newer criteria.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Axis 5 of 65 is your GAF score. That score does not even come close to describing "borderline intellectual functioning" due to PTSD and TBI. A GAF of 65 means you have moderate impairment. Someone with PTSD and TBI is probably severely impaired if their intellectual functioning is boderline. This to me is typical of C&P exams. Get your own doctor who you pay to examine you and write a report. I think you should get 100% based on that exam, but the GAF does not line up with the exam description of Severe impairments listed. Does anyone else believe this vet's GAF lines up with the wording of this exam? It is as if the exam doctor has thrown a booby trap into the exam. How can anyone work with a Severe learning impairment?