• Latest Donations

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Available Subscriptions

teejay53

Service Connected?

Question

my deceased husband's doctor wrote a letter to the va stating my husband had no risk factors for contracting hep c except through blood transfusions he received while in the service. however, hep c is not listed as one of the service connected disabilities, which are:

general digestive condition,

general,

general respiratory condition

i was speaking with a veteran while waiting at the doctor and he told me that my husband's doctor should have added to the va letter that other ways he could have contracted hep c in the service were:

Jet “air gun” injections * Medical procedures * Blood transfusions * Re-used needles, syringes, and vials * Dental procedures * Blood-based products/vaccines * Finger pricks/lancets

should i have the doctor write a 2nd letter to the va with this information in it or referencing other information that would service connect his hep c.

thank you for your help.

:blink:

The jet air injections and other non sterile practices of VA and the Service have a lot to do with it. VA has granted connection when only thing to go on was the injections.

Good Luck

Ad

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp05/files5/0531165.txt

I hope this helps.

Out of curiosity, how does one prove that the jet air injections were used?

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp05/files5/0531165.txt

I hope this helps.

Out of curiosity, how does one prove that the jet air injections were used?

San Diego, MCRD used them they pumped the suckers up with a foot pump in'66

I got this from one of your posts here teejay

"He had major surgery for his injury and received blood products. he passed away from ruptured esophageal varices and hepatic cirrhosis and had hep c."

There is an IMO forum here on how the doc has to prepare the IMO-

What listed listed as cause of death on the death certificate? Can you give us the exact wording of it?

The VA holds to exactly what a death certificate says- does it have Hepatitis C as contributing to his death?

Hepatic cirrhosis- is this listed on his death certificate and do you have medical evidence that the cirrosis is directly due to the Hepatitis C?

The ruptured esophageal varices could certainly be directly due to the Cirrhosis,whioch could be due to the Hep C.

The fact that he had inservice injury requiring surgery could be the nexus for the Hepatitis C.

Did he have any inservice diagnosis of viral Hepatitis or any other form of hepatitis? Is there anything in his SMRs that could show symptoms and/or treatment of viral Hep C?

Did he have tattoos or any history of intravenous drug usage?

I only mention these as these are reasons that VA has used to deny Hep C claims in some cases.

If we know exactly the cause of death and any contributing factors listed on the death certificate we can help more.

Did the doctor who prepared that statement for you have his complete Service Medical Records?

Was he service connected at all in his lifetime? If so what for and at what %?

Did he have any claim pending at death withe the VA?

"my deceased husband's doctor wrote a letter to the va stating my husband had no risk factors for contracting hep c except through blood transfusions he received while in the service. "

That is a good statement but VA will consider factors after service.

"however, hep c is not listed as one of the service connected disabilities, which are:

general,

general respiratory condition"

I dont understand this part - was he service connected for conditions like these?

hi;

here the responses to your questions. all help is greatly appreciated.

:blink:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this from one of your posts here teejay

"He had major surgery for his injury and received blood products. he passed away from ruptured esophageal varices and hepatic cirrhosis and had hep c."

There is an IMO forum here on how the doc has to prepare the IMO-

**What listed as cause of death on the death certificate? Can you give us the exact wording of it?

On death certificate: Ruptered Esopheagel Varices - cause of death & hepatic cirrhosis - due to or as a consequence of.

**The VA holds to exactly what a death certificate says- does it have Hepatitis C as contributing to his death? says hepatic cirrohsis

** Hepatic cirrhosis- is this listed on his death certificate and do you have medical evidence that the cirrosis is directly due to the Hepatitis C? yes. from his personal doctor

The ruptured esophageal varices could certainly be directly due to the Cirrhosis,whioch could be due to the Hep C.

** The fact that he had inservice injury requiring surgery could be the nexus for the Hepatitis C.

he was severely stabbed that required blood products during surgery. he was honorably discharged

when he was released from the hospital due to the severity.

** Did he have any inservice diagnosis of viral Hepatitis or any other form of hepatitis? Is there anything in his SMRs that could show symptoms and/or treatment of viral Hep C?

no

** Did he have tattoos or any history of intravenous drug usage? none and didn't drink at all

I only mention these as these are reasons that VA has used to deny Hep C claims in some cases.

If we know exactly the cause of death and any contributing factors listed on the death certificate we can help more.

** Did the doctor who prepared that statement for you have his complete Service Medical Records?

no, i have been trying to get them sent from the The National Archives since november 2009

** Was he service connected at all in his lifetime? If so what for and at what %? 25%

service connected for;

paralysis of ulnar nerve;

general respiratory condition;

general;

general digestive condition.

** Did he have any claim pending at death withe the VA? no

"my deceased husband's doctor wrote a letter to the va stating my husband had no risk factors for contracting hep c except through blood transfusions he received while in the service. "

That is a good statement but VA will consider factors after service.

** however, hep c is not listed as one of the service connected disabilities, which are:

general,

general respiratory condition"

** I dont understand this part - was he service connected for conditions like these?

only the connections i listed