VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Results

Rate this question

MLR

Question

Yawl,

If anyone can help me understand what this all means and/or where u think it may fall within the rating scale....please chime in!! I have looked at the ratings schedule but I don't know where I fit in (currently rated at 20% for cervical DDD). I do know that I'm having WAY more problems with my neck now, as compared to when I was originally rated 10yrs ago.

It is confusing to me cuz I was truly having a "bad day" when I went in for this exam. I could barely turn my neck, especially to the left, while at this exam (I actually had to call out from work for 2 days after this exam cuz I could not move). The doc also stated to me that he was supposed to have my records there to review but the VA had not sent them over to him at QTC. He actually made a call to get them sent over while I was in the room but had to leave a message.

Thanks in advance for ANY & ALL feedback cuz I NEVER type this much.... :blink:

Here's the results:

CERVICAL SPINE: No evidence of muscle spasm, guarding, weakness, loss of tone & atrophy of limbs. There is evidence of radiating pain on movement described as all movements. Tenderness described as posterior cervical region. No ankylosis of c-spine.

ROM Degree Repetitive

Flexion: 40 40 40

Extension: 41 41 41

Rt Lateral Flexion: 35 35 35

Lft Lateral Flexion: 35 35 35

Rt Rotation: 70 70 70

Lft Rotation: 70 70 70

Joint function of spine is additionally limited by the following after repetive use: pain & pain has the major functional impact. Not additionally limited by: fatigue, weakness, endurance & incoordination.

NEUROLOGICAL EXAM (SPINE): C-spine sensory function is impaired.

C7 = Sensory deficiet of left long finger.

C8 = Sensory deficiet of left ulnar side of the left ring finger & left little finger. Right biceps & triceps jerk 2+. Left biceps & triceps jerl 2+. Upper extremities show no signs of pathologic reflexes. Normal cutaneous reflexes. There are signs of Cervical IVDS. Most likely peripheral nerve is the Ulnar nerve.

DIAGNOSIS: For the VA diagnosis of Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease, the diagnosis is changed to Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease; Intervertebral Dis Syndrome, most likely affecting left Ulnar nerve (sensory component); cervical strain. This is a result of a progression of the previous diagnosis.

EXAM: Subjective factors are: pain, cervical LOM, abnormal sensation LUE. The objective factors are: established diagnosis, cervical LOM with TTP posterior cervical region, abnormal sensory findings LUE. Diagnosis is IVDS & most likely involved peripheral nerve is the left Ulnar nerve which affects the left side of the body. the IVDS does not cause any complications.

REMARKS: The effect of the conditions usual occupation is abnormal sensation left hand, cervical LOM. The effect of the condition on th eclaimant's daily activity is abnormal sensation left hand, cervical LOM.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Got a letter in the mail today.....

Another c&P for this same condition on the 25th of april.

I hope this one turns out better than the last one

I guess they saw something wrong with the last docs findings also...

I wish you luck as well. Your case is interesting for me, as I am dealing with DDD too. I hate the waiting part. For some reason, I feel that I could have done a better job of expressing my concerns, but it's a big jump for me to complain alot.

What did they do during the neurological part of your exam? I have a c and p tomorrow for lumbar DDD. Im rated already, but I have radiculopathy in both legs and im curious what the exam will be like. I looked over the sheet but it doesnt say much for the peripheral nerve C and P exam.

thanks,

CAS

Hey Yawl, Two things; Since the doctor wasn't able to review your record prior to your exam, which they are suppose to do, you may be scheduled for another exam at a later date. Secondly, if you diagnoisis has changed to include intevertable disc syndrome you will probably get a increase. I went from 20% to 60% for change to Ivds in the lumbar area. I hope its the same for cervical.

Blackbird

Hey BrokenSoldier,

They will ask you about where your pain radiates (if for some reason they don't, you tell them), then they will definitely measure your range of motion. Make sure you don't extend past where the pain starts no matter how far they try and get you to bend. They also may do the pin stick test on your feet if you have numbness.

Hope this helps. Blackbird

I went to my C and P today, and she did reflexes, tuning fork (That felt weird-parts of me could feel 'vibration' other parts of my toes just felt cold or pressure), asked lots of questions about onset, aggrivation, impariment in quality of life, what meds I was taking. She flexed my ankles, and toes and thighs. Had me point out on an chart which areas were affected. Good thing I took A and P in college.

<br style="min-width: 0px; ">...and scheduled an EMG sometime in the near future. If sicatica pain and radiculopathy is dependant on the position im in (sitting or standing) and im taking major anti inflammatories, won't that 'change' the EMG reading? If its looking for radiculopathy in an extremity and ive been standing and not sitting, for example, does that make the EMG read 'false'?Hey BrokenSoldier,

They will ask you about where your pain radiates (if for some reason they don't, you tell them), then they will definitely measure your range of motion. Make sure you don't extend past where the pain starts no matter how far they try and get you to bend. They also may do the pin stick test on your feet if you have numbness.

Hope this helps. Blackbird